Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Arts&Crafts - the worx

detail of same

map1.jpg

map2.jpg

map3.jpg

map4.jpg

allow for overlap... it's a tourist guide!

Actually, I did a Supernatural drawing recently that I don't hate. It's kind of a cartoon. Someone had done a black and white sketch that I likes some elements of online and i wanted to print it off and colour it in, but I didn't like some elements of their pic. I was going to change some bits out collage style, but eventually ended up redrawing from scratch. The crow was already on the paper so I just drew around it. I made the mistake of drawing a lot of it in ink so the bits I don't like I couldn't change. Dean's a bit hammerhead shark and I wish I'd lined the graveyard and the freeway up instead of being so freeform with the composition. But I'm a horrible drawer so all in all pleased with how it turned out.

supernaturaldrawing.jpg

carrot cake creativity:

Windmil25Julycake2.jpg

Windmil25Julycake.jpg

a few things from pumpkinning:

the dragon

P1020395.jpg

the carousel

P1020392.jpg

the wild hunt

P1020396.jpg

igor

P1020385.jpg

the state of Tats dining room....

P1020389.jpg

just hoping Num has better pics somewhere!

mad's painting needs to go here, too :yes:

6.jpg

Most of you will have seen this already, but here goes anyway - Tolkien inspired anniversary cake.

IMAG0878.jpg

IMAG0881.jpg

IMAG08791-1.jpg

It started off as a much grander idea - a tiered cake with the hobbit house built into the side of one tier, and Aragorn and Arwen on the bridge at Rivendell on the top tier. Unfortunately the sponge cake I baked was too light to be weight-bearing. One of the sponge tiers was trimmed to act as the hobbit hole and set on a denser chocolate mud cake as the main body of the cake. I did still intend to have the figures on a bridge but that made them too high and they looked odd peeking over the top of the hobbit house so I ended up with the ivy bower instead.

As I made the hobbit door and window from polymer clay instead of sugar paste they can be attached to a skirting board in our house once the cake is eaten.

Another photo I found on photobucket of a craft project that I don't think I have shared yet. We did a Secret Santa at work last year and I made little felt ornaments of a colleague's cats from a photo she had on her desk. Here they are with the real thing -

Joskittens.jpg

did i tell about the milking stools i was "improving"?

actually they are just three legged stools, but they are called milking stools (which are one legged, actually … :p ). I found them a while ago in a carpenter's shop window, and a few weeks ago i went and got three of them.

gave them a light grey glaze, varnish, white "socks", and printed a "lace doily" on. (first i thought i'd cut a stencil, but that would have been too accurate, i wanted it to be a little more like the ghost of a doily.)

this is how they came out:

13.jpg

until someone posts a real pic of the Supernatural b'day cake, here is one i stole from twitter.... :goodbad:

Rain's cake:

BNcgkelCQAAcLLu.jpg

(the tombstones are white chocolate..)

So, the birthday cake - based on the Supernatural episode Changing Channels, which ends with the Trickster being revealed as an archangel while surrounded by a circle of holy fire....

The episode has the characters imprisoned in other TV shows, including CSI, which is why I used POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS tape for the ribbon. This has a clear view of the fondant icing flames -

IMAG0682.jpg

But as birthday cakes have candles, we decided to get some pics with Gabriel surrounded by real flame -

DSCF1611.jpg

DSCF1610-1.jpg

DSCF1601.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

a couple of collaborative pieces - ie i did the design, Tats and sundry allies did the work!!

pebble mosaic panels - fish and plants - a garden in Nottingham

f49ac8fe0b84f892fa980f0645d86709.jpg

and a 'well-dressing' design, made up by the folks at Tats' community allotment

0c72d9bbddb48f432fa7bc4b3f4a7255.jpg

my friend Janet, retired head teacher, has spent the time since she retired writing a book about our local long-distance footpath, once the railway line. i did an illustrated map to go inside the book, which has just been published and is selling really well. we're both doing a signing in August (she's doing lots! but i said i'd go along as moral support and it seemes like a good idea...)

Anyway, this is the map, if the Pinterest link works...

dfb134ffd3c88337c22042d3691b0a76.jpg

a few of the details..

Strichen stone circle

f56cac19990d5f503e2c88d95b0c5617.jpg

Lychgate at local kirk

b53ce4760fe4480afad12945302c603e.jpg

linesman's hut

54be269cfeaa7d643665c64e2d6efe68.jpg

steam drifter

631610271671ae77be3a7bbb02a6fc2b.jpg

smallest platform on the line...

db4039a684629a4ef0d799384e2732c3.jpg

and while we're here, a couple of the paintings i've done for some interpretation at work.. (there are 4 more, but no photos yet)

blackbird

c5909f443e910e54f32cb1da61d0a0d3.jpg

blue tit

dc2a3aafff32531e794bcb7df4d26735.jpg

did i ever post this chap? he'll be back soon....be vey afraid.....

895e2b618551fcdadd9c70182a31f5df.jpg