The Hidden Fortress
Sign in to follow this  
jana

snapshots, without a camera

a staircase of pale green stairs with a red brick wall. sunlight - hot, tropical, yellow - falls on the steps, solid as ice. someone blows out pale blue smoke. it streams out and floats softly on to the green steps. i blink and then look again. the smoke wispily rises above the steps, as though they are breathing in the cold and melting. i can almost forget how my skin is burning under the same sun.

Lovely and dreamy, Jana. :flower:

Two perfect moments in these last 2 eternal days:

Driving home from Salem last evening feeling oh so sorry for myself. Lots of touble and strife all around me. The skies have been grey and either raining or heaving with impending rain.

I crested a hill on the highway and suddenly realized the sky was pure pluperfect blue. Not one grey cloud..not even one fluffy puff of white. It was a deep blue too, verging on colbalt at the zenith. Then I saw it...Mount Hood, clear as a bell and ringing with majestic sexiness. A gorgeous white draped giant in my view. It only lasted about 15 seconds untill I drove into the next valley, but the memory still gives me a blissed out feeling.

My drive home from the nearest town is a very pleasant one, barring the occassional fog or ice obstacles. It is a gentley rolling hilly nicely banked country road.

There is, at about the 3/4 way home mark a sizable hill called Mount Pleasant. It is usually. Over the last 18 months or so I have seen a man walking along that stretch. He is always dressed in street clothes...t shirt, jeans, not jogging clothes.

At first he would trudge along slowly looking like he would rather be anywhere else. He was kind of hefty and it was obviously hard for him

He gradually slimmed down abit and his pace would pick up. Still the same inappropriate clothes. All this time when I'd pass him as he was walking the opposite way I'd wave and nod or smile. He rarely ever looked up though. When he did he would give me a blank stare. Never a wave or hint of contact.

I wouldn't see him much out there in the winter or bad weather of course. It had been since last September I think that I saw him and was wondering about him and a little concern creeping in.

Today as I crested the top of Mount Pleasant he was there walking toward me. Looking down but his step pretty peppy & his form slimmer yet.

I waved and smiled as we passed and...he looked up, waved and gave me a timid smile. WoW! I felt so darn good! It might have had something to do with him reaching the top of the hill, but I took it personally. :fly:

i love it that we have this thread. :joy: three perfect time capsules … :heart:

jude, love both the snapshots. :flowers: the second one would make such a lovely short film.

Guest Sue
jude, love both the snapshots. :flowers: the second one would make such a lovely short film.

:heart: such lovely moments Jana and Jude!!

crowded local train. rush hour. a packed first class train compartment. in mumbai, the trains are little tin boxes with cut-out doors where a crowd of people stand perilously close to the edge, aching for fresh air. two women - both strangers to one another - stand facing each other. both look fixedly blank because it is rude to stare. one woman carefully brings a newspaper out of her bag and unfolds it to begin reading. the woman facing her pulls her head back a little so that there is enough space for the newspaper between them.

the train slows down as a station approaches.

the woman without the newspaper turns to get off the train. the woman with the newspaper turns the page. there is no sound. but when the woman has got off the train, there is a wet, red line running across her neck. a drop of blood collects at one corner of the paper cut. the woman hasn't noticed. she is walking fast to get to work in time. she looks as though her head may fall off her neck at any moment.

Guest Girl from Mars

OMG, eerie.... spooky and brilliant, J.!

it was eerie and funny at the same time. she looked like she had escaped from one of the tacky midnight horror shows. :roll:

Guest Sue

The thought of this image makes me very uncomfortable...sends shivers down my spine. I love the way you describe it, but it is creepy.

it must have been very creepy for her, when she finally noticed she has a cut across her neck. :shock:

i'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

sue, it was creepy. distinctly. :shock:

when you travel by train, you get used to seeing the same faces if you travel at about the same time everyday. you get used to seeing the same things. you get used to hanging from the same spot.

at my station, the train comes to halt in front of a fruit juice stall, where sweet limes hang in happy bunches and mango juice is promised to you at rs. 6. four days, when we got off the train, there was a dog lying on the station. he's a street dog. a mongrel. black with patches of white and teeth that aren't hidden even in sleep. three days ago, when we got off the train, he was in the exact same spot, sleeping. two days ago, when we got off the train, he was in the exact same spot, still sleeping. apparently. everyone looked at the dog, stared at him while walking past. someone took out their phone but ultimately put it back.

yesterday, when we were about to reach the station, a lot of people took out handkerchief. a couple of girls steeled their jaw. the same questions were probably going around everyone's heads: a dog can't be sleeping in the exact same spot, in the exact same pose for three days straight. it's not possible.

the train came to a halt. we got off. the dog was still there, in that exact same spot. the train started to move. the dog got up, shook the dust off him and walked away from the fruit juice stand.