The Hidden Fortress
Sign in to follow this  
jana

snapshots, without a camera

Guest Girl from Mars

I can see me running to the dog bearing gifts of hot dogs every day :lol: Thank you for this wonderful moment, J.

lovely!

Monday was one of those weirdo local holidays we have in this part of Scotland. To celebrate having a day off, we went over to the Cairngorms, to an alpine plant nursery.

It has a cafe - a small cosy place which does Norwegian-style cakes, rich with cream and nuts and chocolate.

It has a wide window looking out over the river valley, the trees lightly dusted with the latest snowfall, brown rushes pushing up through soggy ground, the birches silver and dull purple in afternoon light, blue sky and snowflakes. In front of the window is nailed a rambling framework, a collection of branches and bird feeders, full of nuts and apples and birdcakes.

We sat looking out of the window, cosy by the warmth of the log fire, slowly devouring cake and coffee. Outside, the air was busy with birds - chaffinches squabbling over who was higher in the pecking order, robin sneaking around the base of the feeder station, picking up the pieces, coal tits sneaking in for a hit-and-run on the peanut feeders, a blackbird flouncing in and displacing everyone else.

Mum takes a picture, using up the film in her camera. As the motor whirrs, winding back the cassette, there is a flurry of black and white and red, and a woodpecker lands on the feeders. The other birds stay out of the way, respectful of the strong pointed bill. It is intent, not noticing the watchers on the other side of the glass. As it leaves, the pine tree overhead shakes, and a red squirrel comes headfirst and reckless down the trunk, to take over the woodpecker's place.

Mum says - isn't that typical, now I've run out of film?

Guest Sue

Mad - that sounds so lovely! (and yes; very typical about the film)

Mad, that is a beautiful vignette :swoon: thank you :heart:

… and yes, film has a knack for doing that. :huh:

mad, gorgeous. :swoon: and bugger film. who needs it with a snapshot as beautiful as this. :oh:

the cake was darn good, too! :p

now you've made me hungry. :oh:

Have I mentioned I love this thread? :yes:

Guest Sue

This evening as the late afternoon sun shone golden on the fields of green pasture and waving ears of wheat and the rhythm of the train wheels on the track made my head droop sleepily, I caught sight of a roe deer running through the wheat-field alongside the train. Her head bobbed above the tall wheat as she ran; just a momentary glimpse of her elegant beauty.

Sue, that is so beautiful. like a glimpse at a different world. :heart:

Guest Sue

The other day on my way home from work, I was waiting in traffic and spotted a boy - probably 14 or 15 years old - his face set in the bored yet aggressive expression so many teenagers seem to favour. He was on a bike which was too small for him and looked like he just wanted to kick out against the world. As he turned the corner he spotted the dumper-truck pouring sticky tar onto the road (and holding up my queue of traffic). The boy stopped and stared at the truck and the thick black porridge pouring slowly from it. He watched entranced and over a few seconds his face transformed. 10 years dropped off him and he looked like the curious, enthusiastic kid he must once have been. It was lovely to watch; a reassurance that his destiny is not set just yet.

That is truly lovely, and I can well believe his wonder - boys never grow out of big Tonka style stuff like dumper trucks. Howard still points and shouts "crane" each time we pass a building site. I think that's why men become fathers - to be able to do that sort of thing without their wives shaking their heads at them.

i love builders' machines :yes: the only consolation for living nose to nose with a building site for three years was getting to watch it all UP CLOSE. :oh: