The Hidden Fortress
Sign in to follow this  
jana

snapshots, without a camera

jude, thank you so much for sharing that :kiss: A moment like that truly sums up what it means to be human.

jude, beautifully poignant. :sigh: and like mackie said, i doubt any camera could capture the layers you've described... :heart:

sitting in the sun on the pontoon, surrounded by water.

then, for only fractions of a moment, i see something. it is gone, and i keep looking. the water is choppy, like harbour water is, churned up by ships and ferries, the waves relentlessly broken up by walls and bridges.

then what i am looking for is back again, a colour not natural to these waters: turquoise. dancing on the waves, it is gone again so quickly that it takes me a while to understand where it comes from.

a turquoise reflection from a solitary glass balcony on the roof of one of the houses, it is a fleeting apparition, wandering, a glimpse in the everyday blue-grey, there only for moments, but of startling and outlandish beauty, mysterious like light from a secret underwater stash of fairy jewels trapped in this busy industrial river.

teasing me into trying to catch it with the camera, it is here and there, but never quite where my lens is. then the sun has moved on, and it is gone.

it was like catching a glimpse of the treasure at the foot of the rainbow.

:swoon: I love images like that - transient, ephemeral, caught only in the mind's eye....

yes, so do i - i was almost disappointed when i realised where the strange light was coming from :lol:

Guest Sue

Mackie - that is beautiful; and as you say, disappointing to find its real source. (I have never quite managed to give up believing in faeries...)

What a lovely image, Mackie. The true magic is in you "seeing" it and passing it on. :smooch:

A magic momment tonight. I hope I can do it justice.

I went shopping late, about 8 pm tonight. When I came out of the store with the courtesy clerk and my purchases I was struck by the "feel" of the air and the scene in front of me.

It had been quite warm here today and at 9 at night it was still about 70, and the air felt so fresh and soft. The parking lot was almost empty, that town closes up early compared to the city.

It is a very well kept & clean place and I could see a well lit expanse with my truck and a few other cars lit by bright parking lot lights. In the distance there were some spots of beautiful color from the neon signs at the coffee stand and the Jiffy Lube over by the street.

It looked perfect. Like a movie set: Small town America parking lot!

I turned back to comment on the surreal beauty of the scene to the girl with my groceries and right above us was the Stars & stripes fluttering gorgeously in the light breeze.

If you saw that in a movie you might say, oh how cliche, but it really was wonderful! :fworks1:

oh Jude, it sounds like you had to take a deep breath. it does indeed sound like one of the moments that end up in a movie ...

(i think that is where our movie clichés come from - perfect moments.)

Guest Sue

Jude - your moment is lovely, and you capture it beautifully!

My most favourite time ... when the sun is almost gone, the sky still bright, but the light already pink and muted, bordered with blue and grey.

The seagulls are coming in, finding a place to rest for the night, going for a last swipe across the harbour for a bedtime snack of unsuspecting fish, their squabbling only perfunctory.

The tug boats are going west, to their mooring places downriver, from where they start early to meet the first incoming freighters at dawn. The sound of the heavy motors is throbbing through the wood and metal of the pontoon, the wave they pull in their wake is arrowing across the water, crashing against the harbourwalls like real surf.

Less powerful, the riverboats are passing by, chugging comfortably, the lights in the living quarters already lit, dinner being prepared, the family bicycles a pile on the deck, right next to half a dozen pots with flowers.

The incoming tide is racing upriver, meeting the pontoon with a wave that feels like we are actually moving, going west, into the sunset …

The water is reflecting the sky, the ripples adding a black grid from bridges and houses, pontoons and ships. The docklights have a carnival quality – strong enough to stand out in the waning daylight, but not yet the neon glare they will have later, when the sky is dark.

Inspite of the traffic, the silence in between weighs heavier, there is a tranquility the noise is only accentuating.

The balance between sky and reflection is shifting; at one point, the water seems brighter than the sky.

The wind is cool and friendly on my face.

Everything is floating.

That is so beautiful and moving, Mackie. The blue hour. I find it really the only time of day when I really notice some things. Things that get washed out in the midday sun's glare. :flower:

:sigh:

that is so good....

i am standing over the river, looking west into the setting sun, and east along the harbour panorama and the city.

the air is crisp with autumn, and the light is yellow and strong. there is a steady wind from the east, pushing a low sheet of cloud towards me. purple and slate, the clouds are fringed with rain hanging in veils before the turquoise of the clear sky beyond and the white and golden tumble of clouds on the eastern horizon. the low sun is brushing the belly of the rainclouds, adding burnt orange highlights, and the city is sitting in bright light.

seagulls are gliding before the dark clouds in white arcs. half a rainbow is spanning down from the dark clouds, bright and clearly defined, its end glowing pastel and metallic on the choppy grey water of the river, where the harbour ferries are passing through it.

towards the west, the light is adding a haziness to the air, mellowing the colours that are so bold in the eastern view.

it takes only five minutes for the cloud to shift far enough for the light to flatten, and the dramatic panorama to dissolve into a more everyday scene. curtain call …

:swoon: