The Hidden Fortress
Guest sweetp

At the movies

had a movie sunday. :jump:

saw 'brokeback mountain' and 'history of violence'.

history has been made. the world shuddered a little around 5 o'clock indian time. i think a couple of pigs flew as well.

why, you ask.

because oggi and i actually agreed on a film: i found 'brokeback' entirely uninteresting. in fact, i have to say, i almost hated it. if it had moved me enough, i would probably have hated it. :roll: i totally don't understand the hype about this film. it leaves me completely in the dark. the story - and i haven't read the original short story so i'm referring to the plot - is like any paperback romantic novel. it didn't really make any difference to me that there were two men getting some action.

this is probably because in india, they censor out a significant chunk of the action. :roll:

anyway, so yes, 'brokeback' didn't work for me at all at a story level. it just didn't do anything. i think the time transition was VERY shoddily done. the time retreated further and further into the background. the world around them just didn't seem to change. only anne hathaway's hair got blonder with every passing year. canada looked like a BEAUTIFUL wyoming. a lot of the lighting was also spectacular so the cinematography was really quite beautiful. lots of density to the frames. but the damn story itself barely MOVED. it was slow and attempted to clutch at your sympathies like a clinging beggar. but it was so slow and there was nothing pathbreaking in the film. for me.

i actually though heath ledger and the girl who played his wife were very good. jake whatshisname didn't impress me at all. he was the same as he was in 'proof' where he was a geek. he seemed too cool to be a geek. and here he was the same guy but in jeans with a cowboy hat. heath ledger on the other hand was excellent. completely transformed himself, his body language, his accent - everything. did a fabulous tough-man jaw thing that i loved. and surprisingly, he was absolutely clear, although you can't lip-read him to save your life. there's an alternative career in ventriloquism that he can take up any time.

must admit, i don't have any comments on whether the gay relationship was hollywood-ised or realistic. but i will say this - there was definitely some chemistry happening between them. i also want to know why ennis said, "jack, i swear..." what is he swearing? what is he referring to?

and then there was 'history of violence'. everyone in the theatre absolutely loved it. i personally didn't think it was brilliant. i think it was better than 'pride and prejudice'. i'm not sure how it would rank against 'brokeback' yet. still processing that.

major disappointment: viggo mortensen. he was one of those actors who was trying to hard. just theatrical, and not in a good way. his performance was patchy. there were some bits that he did really well. he was very good as joey cusack but as tom stall, he was quite overdone.

the kid who played his son, on the other hand, was BRILLIANT. i loved his performance. effortlessly natural in a role that swung with teenage hormones rather well. good stuff. i did like the way the movie was shot. nice angles and i have a fondness for that sepia palette in any case. :lol:

the story itself was changed significantly and i liked it much better this way, i think. it was less grotesque but more cruel and laced with much more lethal-ness.

plus points for the movie: very tight and gripping. well-paced and well-edited. however, i have to say that considering the calibre of the films this year, i'm not surprised so few nominations came the film's way. it's not spectacular. but i do think it was a really good film, more from the story and editing angle thank anything else.

good night and good luck. :manic: (i've fallen in love with that phrase)

beautiful documentary. if only dylan had a voice as beautiful as his words. :lol:
i have to find this somewhere … and yes, his voice, as recognisable it may be, never did the beautiy of his songs any justice. i have two CDs with Baez singing Dylan, and i love them.

I haven't seen Brokeback but the "I swear" phrase...what was the context? Some times it is a coloquialism meaning something like "What am I going to do with you?!" Sort of like "What the Hell?!". Only gentler.

THAT one, I will make a point to see. I think that the other two movies, I will skip. :crit:

had a movie sunday. :jump:

saw 'brokeback mountain' and 'history of violence'.

history has been made. the world shuddered a little around 5 o'clock indian time. i think a couple of pigs flew as well.

why, you ask.

because oggi and i actually agreed on a film:

Good Lord! No wonder I had a bit of a fuzzy head yesterday :p

Good Night and Good Luck (or Good Night and God Bless, as my Mum calls it - she also thought it was about Walter Kronkite :huh::roll:) is definitely on my list too.

Kexs and i saw Walk the Line last night.

we meant to see The Geisha, but their online program was wrong, and they didn't show it, so we took Walk the Line (because going home was not an option :p ) since i was attuned to kimono, the first ten minutes were a little tough, but i really loved the movie. (aside from the fact that Reese Witherspoon is too thin for my taste).

i think they managed to tell it in a very un-sticky way, and they did not make it into a musical.

jude, it's entirely fabulous. the man had a terrible voice. :lol: no questions about it but he was also adamant that he would sing his songs and he did sing them with an intensity that few others could have matched. but you hear joan baez sing his songs and it's like ... epiphany. she should have just sung all his songs. SO beautiful...! :swoon:

She has such a beautiful voice :swoon:

Dylan has a whole host of voices - he has the nasal twang everyone associates with him, a kind of rumble and a croon. He's not a great singer, but I love all those voices.

I just booked tickets this morning to see him at Cardiff in June. We saw him in November in Birmingham and it was incredible - he has this very delicate little shuffle of a walk as he comes onto the stage, and he shakes quite a bit now, but then the opening bars of Like a Rolling Stone start and he turns on the magic and you remember that you are watching a legend.

mackie - I can't believe I still haven't seen Walk the Line yet - not only a Johnny Cash movie, but starring Joaquin and featuring Robert Patrick! I am really slipping.

can i call you Slippy? :p

even though i am not a great admirer, i would love to see Dylan live - he really is a legend, and his songs have accompanied me all through my life. many of my favorite songs are Dylan songs.

I just had a look at Bob's tour dates and its Cardiff or Bournemouth :db:

I missed him last time (no, I'm not a fan, but he's one of those people you probably should see live)

So many movies, so little time!

Brokeback Mountain - Didn't like it. Too unbelievable and hyped up by the media.

Good Night and Good Luck - Fantastic! No other way to describe it.

Syriana - Too long winded. Started dozing halfway through (might have been due to the fact I'd just finished a 9hr shift..)

The Weatherman - o0o0o0o I had been dying to see this and was not disappointed. Although slightly disgusted by the whole "camel toe" thing.

Lucky Number Slevin - Some predictable twists but quite a nice wee comedy.

Walk the Line - I'm going out to buy a Johnny Cash album.

And plenty more. David and I live at the cinema sometimes..

Although slightly disgusted by the whole "camel toe" thing.

:lol: what?? spill!

Walk the Line - I'm going out to buy a Johnny Cash album.

luckily i had one already. :yes::joy:

Well the wee girl in the movie was a tad overweight and wore clothes that.. accentuated her curves. Unfortunately she was bullied because of it and nicknamed "camel toe" (when the crotch of trousers dig into the lady bits producing a noticable line). Sweet enough she thought it meant that she was strong and durable like a proper camel toe in the desert.