The Hidden Fortress
Guest sweetp

At the movies

I was thinking just that :lol:

Yup.  Although i can't complain - last year was the first time in years and years that i went out and saw much of anything.  And everything i saw was good in its own way.  i plan to keep up the good work this year, but probably shouldn't count Green Book since that was really a last year's movie.

It's in the theaters just now here. I need to get my niece to come with me :yes: 

did you see it? was it Oscar worthy?  

i did not see the Oscars last night  :nosee: but kept checking who won this or that :slam:  while I watched a Miss Marple mystery  :angel:  

after the fact have been looking  at the Cooper/Gaga duet. quite a few times :angel:  it is shown like a mini-movie :shock:  it is brilliant as such.

apart from the stars,  :sing2:and piano   :keys:  , has great guitar  :guitar::oh: 

https://youtu.be/4FnveHiDEYk

eek when I put the link as embedded it showed huge :what:  so click if interested to watch :yes2:  a pity subtitles are in the middle of the youtube screen :roll:  :dunno: 

no, I haven't seen it yet.

yes, the Cooper/Gaga song is quite beautiful, and the clip is, too. Definitely a movie I need to watch. I have grown quite fond of Lady Gaga as an actress; she's got a good kind of face, not that plastic one so many actresses have these days.

(I have been watching "Blacklist" on Netflix lately, with James Spader quite brilliant as criminal master mind and a young actress as his FBI counterpart (and, I guess as they are only hinting, her father) - and she is so overly made-up and coiffed, it really gets on my nerves. No FBI field agent looks like she is about to dress in a robe and go tot he opera. It's a weird thing many american series and movies, do - overdo, actually.)

The one thing I loved to see from the Oscar's (didn't watch, its middle of the night here) is that Olivia Colman won hers for The Favourite. That movie I actually did see, and she was wonderful in it. She is wonderful in every single thing I have seen her in, and another of my favourite actresses handed her the Golden Man - Frances McDormand.

And Colman's acceptance speech was so delightful - she was so completely overwhelmed. :lol: 

Those subtitles in the middle of the screen are really stupid. :grumpy: I just read that Bradley Cooper said that he had a death wish after agreeing to sing live at the Oscar's :lol: 

Now I'm putting up the trailer. :p 

The ridiculous hair and makeup thingee is one of my pet peeves, too - of COURSE no self respecting FBI field agent or police officer, either, would be wasting their time with high maintenance hair :roll:  I didn't see The Favorite, and probably won't since i still despise the House of Hanover (even though the Stewarts weren't the smartest of rulers), but, yes it was VERY obvious that Olivia Colman had really, seriously NOT expected to win.  Green Book was very, very good, well made and superbly acted, and with a message that is still timely, and a positive ending.  Of the ones i saw, i would actually have given the Oscar to Black Panther, since that pulled off the feat of making a really GOOD movie from the comic books. And i would have given number two to BlackKlansman, with Green Book as number three.  d

i really, REALLY like what I've seen of Gaga as an actress as well as a singer :oh: 

:scotch: to cresspesting :evildb: 

Er, Bradley Cooper had nothing to worry about since he was singing with Gaga,

True but he had to act like he could sing ergo *nerves* ( :lol: about the death wish)...

he IS a good actor :wow: I should add also does the perfect voice of Rocket the Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy :roflmao: 

goli, agree about Black Panther et al... but whatever :dunno:  (them's the Oscars...).

will be interesting what Lady Gaga does next. :yes2: 

erm, mackie... :oh: thanks for that. knowing the ending, and it's just about Hollywood. but.  :neutral: :cry: 

11 hours ago, Goli said:

I didn't see The Favorite, and probably won't since i still despise the House of Hanover

:lol: The House of Hanover doesn't get especially good press in the movie :wink: 

11 hours ago, Goli said:

:scotch: to cresspesting :evildb: 

Er, Bradley Cooper had nothing to worry about since he was singing with Gaga,

I think the problem was that he had to sing solo first :duck: 

I realise that I haven't seen (or heard) Bradley Cooper in anything at all so far. :lol: 

:lol:

there are a lot of them now I haven't seen :shock: :angel:

If my niece hadn't towed me to the Hamburg Film Fest a few months ago, I wouldn't have seen anything at all, I guess, unless it was so old it was on DVD or Netflix … 

8 hours ago, Mackie said:

:lol: The House of Hanover doesn't get especially good press in the movie :wink: 

:roflmao: that was pretty clear from the previews, still . . .

Wee Scots hold grudges a looooooooooooooong time - my dad said my grandparents still fought about which clan hadn't fully supported the Bonny Prince in the 1745 debacle.  That would have been in the 1930's,

:shock:  I had no idea :blush2:

true about catching up on DVD and Netflix  :p