The Hidden Fortress
Goli

Reading Frenzy

A thread for what we are reading at the moment.

I have been on something of a biographical binge.

I've finished "Stella: Unrepentant Madam" An interesting account of an American woman who took her expertise in the world's oldest profession (management side) to, among other places, Victoria, B.C. I bought the book in Victoria, along with a copy of "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains", by Isabella Bird, which I've started but not quite finished.

And I'm reading "The Devil Kissed Her", a biography of Mary Lamb.

I've finished "Stella: Unrepentant Madam" An interesting account of an American woman who took her expertise in the world's oldest profession (management side) to, among other places, Victoria, B.C. I bought the book in Victoria, along with a copy of "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains", by Isabella Bird, which I've started but not quite finished.
are they contemporary, or historical?

i am reading a book about a russian-german family, "Rita's people". it is a lesson in european history, and an intriguing family history - they were mennonites, and had been forced to leave the russian western border in teh 1920s, and settle in the far east, close to Omsk. after the falll of the USSR they have gone west, and live in germany.

Guest Sunflowerwoman

During December, I read "Gun, Germs and Steel". A book with the hypothesis that the reason European culture covered the world was that the Fertile Cresant had more plants and animals that were easy to domesticate than other areas. Because of the East/West orientation of Eurasia, farming spread over the entire content easily. AFter farming conquored Europe, it had a great jumping off point for the rest of the world. Fascinating and enjoyable to read.

I try to read "Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking" for the second time. Now I'm on the second page. In two weeks. :duck::s

Guest Candy
I try to read "Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking" for the second time. Now I'm on the second page. In two weeks. :duck::s

LOL and after how many cigarets? :teaser:

but seriously, i know how hard it is to stop smoking (or simply to reduce it, but i guss that`s even harder) - good luck, Kexsie! i know you`ll manage it some day. :smooch:

i just keep on trying. :wink::smooch:

Guest Candy
i just keep on trying. :wink::smooch:

good boy! have a lolly :lolly:

:lolly: <---better than a cigarette :manic:

Guest Candy

LOL! but don`t forget to brush your teeth afterwards :evildb:

:green: <--my teeth brushed

:roflmao:

I've finished "Stella: Unrepentant Madam"

for a second i went :bigeyes: because i connected it with a certain someone we're bashing down at the steam valve since yesterday. :p

sunny, i've been wanting to read 'guns germs and steel'. it's supposed to be one of those landmark kind of books. but just didn't get round to it. a lot of these books make me feel like i'm doing 'A' level history all over again. :roll:

am reading naguib mahfouz's 'palace walk' - the first of his cairo trilogy. it's beautifully written. i finished about 150 days in 2 days and then started working. since then i've read five pages. :huh: it's really infuriating at parts but intentionally so. gripping and compulsive, if one doesn't have 2 magazines to edit and send to print. :duck: