The Hidden Fortress
Goli

Reading Frenzy

Guest Girl from Mars

Mackie, Rita's people sounds very interesting, might get that. I am reading Watership Down.

Kexs: :green:

Guest Sunflowerwoman

Jana, "Guns, Germs and Steel" is a very readable book. He did not attempt to make a scholarly paper out of it. He wrote it like a very very long article for one of those general poplulation sceintific mazazines, like "Sceintific American" or "Smithsonian". There are no footnotes. There are lots of annecdotes. If you decide to read it, be sure to read the introduction where he explains how he came up with the idea for the book. The author is an extraordinary man.

Right now I am trying to read "From Dawn to Decadence -- 500 Years of Western Cultural Life". I've had it on my bookshelf for a couple of years. It is a very hard read. One problem is I do a lot of reading in my bed before I go to sleep, and with this book I have to go back to pages to remember what I read the night before. It is very dense, and I don't know if I will get through it or give up as being too hard.

Sunny, i never can get myself to read books like that one :bigeyes: i am too lazy (and perhaps too dumb, too.)

Mars, i can send it to you when i am finished.

:jump::jump:

More books to add to my reading list.

The Mary Lamb biography sounds fascinating, Goli. I have to admit I didn't know who she was :blush:, so have just googled her.

As for me, I'm still wading through Jonathan Strange & Dr Norrell.

Guest Sunflowerwoman

Mackie, I find your reading list amazing. I spend most of my time reading trashy novels.

I'm re-reading The Two Towers. As I'm fitting in my recreational reading between reading my CeMAP coursebooks (deeply, deeply boring financial tomes) all I can cope with is something very familiar.

Guest Girl from Mars
Sunny, i never can get myself to read books like that one :bigeyes: i am too lazy (and perhaps too dumb, too.)

Mars, i can send it to you when i am finished.

Great! Unless it is too expensive to send it here. :blush:

:jump::jump:

More books to add to my reading list.

The Mary Lamb biography sounds fascinating, Goli. I have to admit I didn't know who she was :blush:, so have just googled her.

As for me, I'm still wading through Jonathan Strange & Dr Norrell.

The Mary Lamb biography really IS fascinating. I had known of her as half of the "Tales from Shakespeare" Lambs, but I had no idea about her story.

And I never got around to answering Mackie's question about time periods. Mary Lamb is late 18th Century -early 19th Century, Isabella Bird was one of the Victorian women who went haring off travelling by herself all over the word, Stella the unrepentant (and, yes, Jana, BOY did it give me a turn when I realized the coincidence of name) was late 19th - early 20th Century. To round it out, I have a biograpy of Sylvia Beach waiting in the wings. There's a really nice little used book store in "downtown" Poulsbo, and I tend to go through there and buy stuff that catches my eye to read later. And then I find something in the library, which takes precedence over the books that I own. :roll: Since the library DOES expect to get their books back, eventually.

Mackie, I find your reading list amazing. I spend most of my time reading trashy novels.

::lol: somehow i doubt that :p

Bets, don't you like it? i must say that after i had made my way through the first 200 pages, i really loved it. (i had to get used to the footnotes, at first they really :bigeyes: me. but after a while i found that just so much of the detail and life of the story was enforced by them)

Guest Sunflowerwoman

::lol: somehow i doubt that :p

Oh, no, it's quite true. I love romance novels. My room is full of books that I bought that I meant to read. But they are hard non-fiction type thingies. Then there are the novels that I actually do read. I'm trying to be more honest with myself.

My room is full of books that I bought that I meant to read. But they are hard non-fiction type thingies. Then there are the novels that I actually do read. I'm trying to be more honest with myself.

i have my share of books i bought and never got around to reading, too …i always overestimate my intellectual capacity when browsing a book store :p

Sunny the Guns, Germs one sounds really my type of book. I love history but the more accessible king, like the David McMullogh ones (Path Between the Seas ec). Dense historical books or scholarly ones make me feel dense. :roflmao:

I'm rereading the first Amerlis Peabody book by Elizabth Peters. I got her "Compendium" companion book t the series and remembered how much fun the early books were.

Sunny, if you lke light but not {"dumb" pop fiction, I'd recommend ElizabethPeter/Barbara Michaels. They are my go to books when I REALLY need an escape. They are light, fun, witty and don't take themselves too seriously.

I'm also continuing to read the Hungry Planet book and a bio of Hattie McDaniels.

Bets, don't you like it? i must say that after i had made my way through the first 200 pages, i really loved it. (i had to get used to the footnotes, at first they really :bigeyes: me. but after a while i found that just so much of the detail and life of the story was enforced by them)

I really, really do like it. I've just not found the time to sit down and read it. I took it to the States with me and managed to read read half the book on various planes.

Because I don't have an hour on buses going to/from work anymore, my reading has gone right down. Having a laptop doesn't help either :lol:

Because I don't have an hour on buses going to/from work anymore, my reading has gone right down. Having a laptop doesn't help either :lol:

i can imagine :wink:

Guest Candy
I'm rereading the first Amerlis Peabody book by Elizabth Peters.

i read the Amelia Peabody books a few years ago and i really loved them. very entertaining.