The Hidden Fortress
Goli

Reading Frenzy

Guest Sunflowerwoman

Thanks for the recommendation, Judith. Geeze, I have to go soon and I guess I'm nervous. Right now my favorite is Nora Robers.

sunny, :smooch: it will all be fabulous. :jump:

boo, i just saw the paperback the other day. it just annoyed the bejesus out of me to see it smaller and lighter and... SMALLER AND LIGHTER. :evildb:

Guest Candy
sunny, :smooch: it will all be fabulous. :jump:

what Jana said - i`ll keep my fingers crossed for the test, Sunny! :heart:

boo, i just saw the paperback the other day. it just annoyed the bejesus out of me to see it smaller and lighter and... SMALLER AND LIGHTER. :evildb:

is that the single volume version or the new 3 volume one?

:mad: They announced they were bringing that out 3 days after I bought the single volume paperback. Buggers :db:

i never saw anything but the single volume paperback :p and bought it right away, too.

(Sunny, keeping fingers crossed for you :heart: )

"Mistress of Modernism", a biography of Peggy Guggenheim. I really enjoyed "Art Collector", another take on this lady. I've found it very valuable to read more than one biography of people that I find interesting (when I can find them), because there are usually a number of facets to their stories, and each biographer seems to be intrigued with different aspects of the subject's personality and/or their relationship and reactions to the societies they lived in.

That was particularly true of Sylvia Plath/Ted Hughes - I've read everything I can find on them - one writer is interested on how writing affected their lives, one writer was very sympathetic to Hughes, one writer very sympathetic to Plath, etc.

Guest sweetp
Mackie, I find your reading list amazing. I spend most of my time reading trashy novels.

I am really embarrased by this so I have refrained from posting my reading list because I, too, read trashy romance novels. I used to read a lot of interesting things, but I started reading those romance novels when my mom was dying and am not ready to put them down yet. There's a used paperback book store near where I live and I just trade in bunches of them every couple of weeks.

sweetp

okay, before anyone gets ideas about my reading habits - i have read each Georgette Heyer romance i could find (which means, every single one :p ), and i return to them each time i need comfort, and i have read all Diana Gabaldons, too. i never read anything unless it has a story. so don't think i am an educated reader - i am not. that quote from Sunny is totally misleading, because SHE was the one reading the heavy stuff, and i said i wouldn't get around to doing that :p

Ithink I enjoy almost any kind of book if it's well written, with some humor preferable.

I think Georgette Heyer is brilliant and have enjoyed Phyliss Whitney, Daphne Dumaurier, Mary Stewart in the past. Are those in the Romance genre?

I love show Biz biographies, and political bios, and pop history.

What I go back to most is Mysteries. I started out with Nancy Drew & Poe and was reading Agatha Christie & Ian Flemming as a kid. Depending on my state of mind & like all kinds of mysteries from the hard boiled (Raymond Chandler) to the classic ones (Dorothy Sayers) to cozies ( The Cat Who series & The Aunt Dimity books).

I just plain love books. I used to read in bed under the covers with a flash light when I was supposed to be asleep. I first read Catcher in the Rye that way. I was luck that my Mom was a "reader" and had a good library at my disposal. I remember vividly waiting for the latest Life magazine to come and laying on the floor with it reading about prehistoric man or Queen Elizabeth or the ill fated Hungarian upriaing of 19 56 I think.

I even would read the ceral boxes at breakfast if there was nothing else to read. :roflmao:

I even would read the ceral boxes at breakfast if there was nothing else to read. :roflmao:

sounds familiar :lol:

Guest Sunflowerwoman

Thank you all for well wishes for my test. I think that I did ok. It wasn't really what I thought it would be. But, I am hopeful.

I am really embarrased by this so I have refrained from posting my reading list because I, too, read trashy romance novels. I used to read a lot of interesting things, but I started reading those romance novels when my mom was dying and am not ready to put them down yet. There's a used paperback book store near where I live and I just trade in bunches of them every couple of weeks.

sweetp

There's such a thing as comfort reading, and one of the joys of really light reading is that you can spend quite a lot of time doing it and enjoying yourself, as opposed to some of the heavier stuff, which usually needs to be taken in smaller doses. The thing about trading them in is great, too. I went through a period of reading really bad not so much "science fiction" as "space opera", and I used to do the same thing, trade a foot or so of ones I'd read for another foot or so of new ones.

Ithink I enjoy almost any kind of book if it's well written, with some humor preferable.

I think Georgette Heyer is brilliant and have enjoyed Phyliss Whitney, Daphne Dumaurier, Mary Stewart in the past. Are those in the Romance genre?

I have loved all of the above, particularly Georgette Heyer - I've reread my copies so often the covers are falling apart.

I really, really love P.G. Wodehouse, too, and the Wooster/Jeevesverse is another place I go for comfort reading. I also like E.F. Benson, the Mapp/Lucia books and some of the "Dodo" stories as well. Benson is sometimes even funnier than Wodehouse, I think, but Wodehouse's humor is gently ridiculous, and Benson's can be pretty pointed, and sometimes quite nasty. (And I find it really interesting that Benson could also write a hell of a ghost story, or vampire story, too.)

Back to biographies - Daphne Dumaurier's life story is well worth reading.