The Hidden Fortress
Goli

Reading Frenzy

Back to biographies - Daphne Dumaurier's life story is well worth reading.
oh! i have that on the shelf, in translation, gift from my mom. then i am going to read it as soon as i am through with my Russians. :jump:

wodehouse is definitely one of my favourite comfort tomes. :oh: and 'the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy'. never fails to pick me up. :lol: i still read my old enid blyton's from time to time when i feel blah. :blush:

i still haven't finished my naguib mahfouz. :uhm: however, that didn't stop me from starting to read "eats, shoots and leaves." :oh: insanely funny book on PUNCTUATION. :lol: highly recommended to one and all. i think it's going to belong with wodehouse and douglas adams on my bookshelf. :joy:

"eats, shoots and leaves." :oh: insanely funny book on PUNCTUATION. :lol: highly recommended to one and all. i think it's going to belong with wodehouse and douglas adams on my bookshelf. :joy:

:oh: that reminds me - i just read a small thing called "Der weiße Neger Wumbaba" (yes, german, i know :p ) it is about misunderstandings, and having experienced quite a few in my life as not-so-good hearing person, i laughed a lot. the title is a misunderstanding about a german song, where the words "steigt der weiße Nebel wunderbar" (the white mist i rising beautifully) are misheard into "der weiße Neger Wumbaba" (the white negro Wumbaba). (not at all pc, but it IS a misunderstanding.)

the author has a column in a newspaper, and is writing about language, and the examples in the book are mostly things readers sent in after he wrote about how language gets richer when you do not always hear correctly :p a lot of the stories are about misunderstood song lyrics :lol:

That is funny! I love that kind of humor based on misprints, misunderstood lyricas and bolopers. (I of course meant lyrics & bloopers...Kate insisted I leave those goofs. :blush: )

There's a bad moon on the rise, heard as "there's a bathroom on the right".

Or a bit from a newspaper article about ome past Olympics. It was meant to read" Misfortune befell the Australian contender for a gold medal today."

It actually appeared as "Miss Fortune Befell, the Australian contender for the gold medal,...."

I want to get that Eats, Shoots and Leaves book too. That author has another one out about the appalling decline in civil manners in today's world.

i heard about her new book. but must first finish this one. :roll:

mackie, that is very funny! :lol:

i can't stand any of the russians other than nabokov. best of luck getting through them. :uhm: :duck:

i can't stand any of the russians other than nabokov. best of luck getting through them. :uhm: :duck:
no, not russians in that sense :p (i always had to make elaborate bookmarkss with the dozens of versions for the names of characters in russian novels - scary :lol: read a lot of Solzhenitsyn's books, though, and some Tolstoi)

"my" russians are the german-russian family whose story i am reading right now.

I was never able to get into Tolstoy, but I LOVED Dostoyevsky. Regrettably, my parents suffered greatly during that period. I was about 16 and read "The Idiot", "The Possessed", and the Karamazovs all in a row (for some reason I couldn't get past the murder in "Crime and Punishment" until the third try, a year or so later, when I couldn't put the thing down). The result of the Dostoyevsky binge was a whole lot of rolling of eyes, muttering darkly, cranking up the Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky on the stereo, sobbing bitterly at each imagined, and grossly inflated "irony of fate". Sigh. The only reason I watched the very first episode of "Star Trek" when it aired was because William Shatner had played Alyosha in the truly terrible movie version of the Karamazovs (although both he AND Yul Brynner looked cool in the costumes).

At any rate, between Shatner boldly going where no man had gone before, leading me into the realms of science fiction/space opera, and an unfortunate, for my parents, discovery in the drama section of the library, my mystic, world weary, cosmically suffering RHUSSSSIAN period came to an abrupt end.

Edited to add: although it recurred, I guess, at my first opportunity to order a drink. I was underage, but a guest at a Christmas dinner party that one of my parents' friends hosted in an S.F. hotel. The waiter asked what I'd like to drink, and I replied, tossing it off casually, "Vodka on the rocks".

:roflmao: your poor parents. :p yes, adolescence and russian novels are a very dangerous combination. :wink:

:roflmao: your poor parents. :p yes, adolescence and russian novels are a very dangerous combination. :wink:

They were, and the next phase was just as irritating. That was the Noel Coward phase. Witty, don't you know, darling. Vedddy, vedddy witty and brittle and so on. Supersophisticated and bitchy in an oh-so-subtle way. (At least the adolescent version of "subtle" - i.e. pasting a kleenex over the sledgehammer.)

yes, the whole deal makes not being a parent quite a comfortable place :p

yes, the whole deal makes not being a parent quite a comfortable place :p

I am going to make a magnificent effort to :track: this - at least I never made my parents as uncomfortable as "Ramses" made the redoubtable Amelia Peabody and the grumblingly swashbuckling Radcliffe Emerson.

good try :wink: (i had to check what thread this was in to begin with :lol: )

well, all those long time favourites … i guess everybody has experienced the moment of deep disappointment, when you return to a book you remember to have enjoyed thoroughly, and you find it completely flat and boring :roll:

Guest Oggi

Mackie, I find your reading list amazing. I spend most of my time reading trashy novels.

I am really embarrased by this so I have refrained from posting my reading list because I, too, read trashy romance novels. I used to read a lot of interesting things, but I started reading those romance novels when my mom was dying and am not ready to put them down yet. There's a used paperback book store near where I live and I just trade in bunches of them every couple of weeks.

sweetp

My romance novel habit started shortly after 9/11. I use to read mysteries, not the real grizzly descriptive murder kind, but murder mysteries nevertheless. After those events I couldn't read anything even remotely tragic, and needed a real escape. Earlier in the summer I had picked up a Nora Roberts book to take on a retreat, and have been hooked on her ever since. Sweetp, I also have found a used bookstore and trade in as I go through. I call them my popcorn books. They really came in handy when I first started my fake job at the bank. They weren't quite ready for me and had nothing for me to do for 8 hours, so I read a paperback a day for a period of about three weeks.

These days I'm into a new character. He's a ranger who hangs with dwarves, elves, and humans. No not that ranger. I've quite accidentally fallen into the Forgotten Realm with Drizzt, the Drow Elf...who knew? lol...but I'm having fun. (He's even delaying my reading of a new Nora book...go figure!)

Hmmm, Oggi, The Forgotten Realm sounds interesting. Is it books or a game?

Never mind, my son. Matt, just told me it's an on line game. I'd like to explore those at least...maybe after we get our new comp.

When I feel emotionally vulnerable I can't read much at all...just a couple pages at a time...I retreat into crosswords. They free my mind. During a really dark time a while ago I realized that I could do them better and more quickly if I was upset. Also play with the Boggle word cubes...rolling them and making the results into words. I did this for hours when my Mom was so ill.

A kind of conditioned response seems to kick in to do with puzzles too. Because I do a couple every night before going to sleep, if I do one in the day time I get slightly sleepy! :roflmao:

I've never read Nora Roberts...what is her style/genre. Straight romance or a twist of mystery? I do like a spice of mystery ( and a few discrete bodies are ok too. No gore though)

Guest Girl from Mars

Oggi, you are playing Forgotten Realms? I am also playing this! But in the version where you sit at a table with other players (not online RPG). It's great fun. I am a conceited blond haired bard called Teak Wan Dori and currently our adventure group is trying to slay an orc god in a multi-level dungeon :evildb: