The Hidden Fortress
Goli

Reading Frenzy

AND moi has actually been to Niagara -on-the-Lake.  Years ago, and it was lovely :oh: 

:lol: :up:

no prophets? :wink:

:p

I went to Niagara Falls lo these years gone by :old: during a recession, many of the hotels were closed. vacant but no vacancy :shock:  at ours, the swimming pool had been drained and they wouild close after our stay... the whole place was eerily uncrowded. now i read this book :shock: 

like many places in Ontario, in Niagara-on-the-Lake there are theatre festivals :yes: 

1 hour ago, bess said:

:p

I went to Niagara Falls lo these years gone by :old: during a recession, many of the hotels were closed. vacant but no vacancy :shock:  at ours, the swimming pool had been drained and they wouild close after our stay... the whole place was eerily uncrowded. now i read this book :shock: 

gives the memories a new twist, I bet :shock: 

I liked the idea of people staying at the airport where they were stranded accidentally. To make this most sterile of all environments into a new "settlement". And how it slowly loses all its original features as they turn into living quarters and farmland. And a museum.

And the way so many of the characters are connected to that opening scene in the theater. I always waited for Jeevan (?) to go and wander off to the airport, actually :lol: 

I've enjoyed you 3 figuring when and were you'll  enjoy your book! lol :book:

It was well worth it - this is the most original book i've read in a long time.  And with a topic that has been done so many times in so many repetitious and unbelievable ways.  This one is scarily believable.  People survive based on random chance- being on one of the few airplanes without infected passengers.  Landing in a small airport off the beaten track - and presumably there would be a few more of them, little outposts separated by just enough distances.  There's no over-the-top ACTION HERO or feminized version of the same type, larger than life and just as unbelievable.  The figure who seems to have the potential of being an over-the-top villain turns out to be very much a paper tiger, done in by one of his own followers.  The synchronicity of the group of characters who are separated and reunited appears to be just that - synchronicity, and not contrived plot devices.  It's a lovely thought that those who survived came to crave Shakespeare and classical music, and also that the instrument of salvation for some of them was an unpublished graphic novel. And eerily right that what  infected the pathetic mini-villain was a poisonous interpretation of the bible.

Yes. :yes2: It is such a joy of a book, for me. It makes me really happy you guys like it, too. :manic: 

It is a fascinating what-if :shock:

So, i just checked out another book by Emily St. John Mandel - "The SInger's Gun".  It's really good, too.  i am going to look at another library for another one of her books, since this one isn't going to last long.  It's been so long since i found a new to me author i really, really like.

:scotch:to Moo for the original recommendation, since i never would have picked up "Station Eleven" without it.

Yes!

i am reading Martha Wells’s novella series The Murderbot Diaries (sci-fi).

15 hours ago, Goli said:

:scotch:to Moo for the original recommendation, since i never would have picked up "Station Eleven" without it.

You’re very welcome :yes: I never would have picked it with the original title I guess.

14 hours ago, bess said:

i am reading Martha Wells’s novella series The Murderbot Diaries (sci-fi).

:oh:

i finished "The Singer's Gun" the other day - and have had to order another one of Ms. Mandel's books  - "The Lola Quartet" - from the only library in this county that has a copy. 

I really, REALLY like her stuff.

:up: