The Hidden Fortress
Sign in to follow this  
jana

And the Oscar goes to...

printballot_78th.gif

very useful for printing out and checking the favourites. :oh: though if one is doing that, then they're probably a little cracked in the cerebral cortex area. :hat:

somehow the oscars like a weird pagan ritual :lol:

Even as a weird pagan myself, let me tell you - the Oscars are strange.

It's always such a guessing game - a) add points for actual accomplishments, b) subtract points for boo-boos in industry politics, c) add OR subtract points for national politics, d) add sympathy points for years in the industry without winning anything plus chance of dying in next year, e) subtract points because of win last year for d) and still being around, f) add sympathy points because of loss last year due to b) now forgiven, or c) if national political trend has changed g) scrap whole foregoing system if you are really, really pissed at someone and his/her rival is in the running and vote for said rival, h) Brando Rule, probably eventually to be Crowe Rule - prove that Academy is too unbiassed enough in favor of sheer talent to award Oscar despite megajerk behavior.

Did I miss anything? :evildb:

:roflmao: no, i don't think you did :p

it really is NOT a measure to judge movies by, is it? :lol: but considering the amount of money the award adds to a movie's financial result, there must be one hell of a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. THAT would be a movie worth making :evil: it wouldn't win an oscar, though :p

well, who'da thunk it...

CRASH WON BEST PICTURE!

i think EVERYONE thought the fight was between 'brokeback mountain' and 'munich' but whaddya know?!

personally, i'm very glad because a) i thought the film was mostly well-made and b) it's not easy to do a film on urban racism and this film did a beautiful job of using stereotypes and realities with sensitivity and cruelty. it was really well-made. the acting was AWESOME! and the song 'in the deep' was fabulous. of course the song that ended up winning was the pimp song from 'hustle and flow'. :what::lol:

i think terence howard is fast becoming one of my favourite actors.

my favourite moments (from what i can remember from 6:30 in the morning :roll: ) from jon stewart -

why bjork couldn't attend the oscars: "she was trying out her dress and dick cheney shot her."

"i just wanted to set the record straight: martin scorcese - zero; three 6 mafia - one."

to the academy in general (as a political reference): "this must be the first time so many of you have voted for a winner)

when eric bana and jessica alba were being introduced to present an award: "if we're all dying in a nuclear holocaust, i want these two to repopulate the world."

there's more but i can't remember offhand. :roll:

"Tonight is the night we celebrate excellence in film - with me, the fourth male lead from Death to Smoochy."

Host Jon Stewart offered up his acting credentials early on.

posting after myself again... :roll:

a list of the winners (well, some of them, anyway)

best picture - crash (froke everyone out. should have seen ang lee. he was NOT happy. *nyuck nyuck nyuck*

best director - ang lee, brokeback mountain

best actor - philip seymour hoffman, capote

best actress - reese witherspoon, walk the line (the woman's thank you speech was unbearable. you could close your eyes and you'd still know she's blonde. no offence to fuzzy and other clever blondes. reese, i'm certain can either chew gum or walk.)

best supporting actor - george clooney, syriana (YUMMY!)

best supporting actress - rachel weisz, the constant gardner

best original screenplay - crash

best adapted screenplay - brokeback mountain (the guy wore jeans!)

best foreign language film - tsotsi

best animated feature - wallace and gromit: the curse of the were-rabbit (YAY!)

best original score - brokeback mountain

best song - it's hard out here for a pimp, hustle and flow (hilarious song)

best art direction - memoirs of a geisha

best cinematography - memoirs of a geisha

best costume - memoirs of a geisha

best make-up - the chronicles of narnia

best documentary feature - march of the penguins (they came with their own penguins!)

best sound mixing - king kong

best visual effects - king kong (they should just reserve this for PJ and the kiwis)

best film editing - crash

"Tonight is the night we celebrate excellence in film - with me, the fourth male lead from Death to Smoochy."

Host Jon Stewart offered up his acting credentials early on.

death to smoochy! :roflmao: i want a t-shirt that says that. :oh:

i found the night mostly boring, though.

once the orchestra cut off some guys thank yous … it was fun to see the audience react to that.

Keanu Reeves looked like he was sick.

i liked Philip Seymour Hofman's "speech". it was so un-speechy :p

it was pretty dull as an evening, definitely. jon stewart looked like he was afraid of being punished and sent to stand at the corner with his back to the class. most people looked like they'd been given prozac when they'd entered the kodak theatre.

what the hell was charlize theron wearing? it was like a balloon on her shoulder. then there was diane whatshername who played helen in 'troy' - she looked like she'd been mummified. with frills.

almost no one gave an interesting speech. in fact.... :huh: no one did. so sad.

and what was up with the weird choreography for the song performances? did anyone notice that for the song 'in the deep' from 'crash' (lovely song, btw), there was actually a re-enactment of the scene where matt dillon molests thandie newton? :what:

well, i didn't know what scene it was, but there was something going on in slo-mo.

i haven't seen a single one of the films in the competition, so i was looking :bigeyes::crit: all the time :p

i found the King Kong snippets awful, actually.

Yayy! Wallace and Gromit - well deserved!

Didn't see the ceremony, was it on terrestrial? If I'd known I wasn't gonna get to work today, I'd have stayed up! Glad George Clooney got one, but reckon it should have been the director one.

From what I've seen elsewhere, it was the usual mix of posing, pouting and posturing. Still, as someone put it, that's the silly season over with!

:lol:

george clooney gave a fabulous speech - funny, succinct and idealistic. the man gets more wonderful with every passing year. :oh:

i read an article in the papers - from some american news agency - about the surprise of 'crash'. they said that it was a statement against the homosexual stance that the films had taken this year and voting for crash was a emphatic statement of holding up the heterosexual banner. so many of the members of the academy hadn't even seen 'brokeback mountain' but they didn't hesitate to vote against it.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I absolutely loved the winning song! It was ALIVE! That elegant woman in the middle singing and all that craziness going on around her. Pumped some oomph in the old ceremony.

I was so glad Hofman won and his speech was honest & real, just as I'd expect of him.

Best dress for me was Uma Thurman's. Lovely creamy silky creation.

I thought it interesting that when Hofman won best actor they showed all the other best actor nominees nodding and smiling with him. When Reese W. won I didn't see one reaction shot of the other actresses. I wonder why. I thought her speech started out ok but it quickly got very inane and pretty embarassing.

I think that some mention of and tribute to Jennifer Garner should be made for saving herself from falling on her ass. I'm surprised you don't see that more often actually with the gowns they wear and the teetery heels. And after a while there must be some tears & sweat up there on stage! :roflmao:

Oh also an odd synchronic moment: we had been watching Robert Altman's M*A*S*H right before turning the chanel and catchng Robert Altman getting a life time achievement oscar!

Guest Girl from Mars
i haven't seen a single one of the films in the competition, so i was looking :bigeyes::crit: all the time :p

Me neither. I somehow hardly find time for the cinema these days. So I skipped the entire oscar show. Yay! indeed for Wallace and Gromit winning! And you are right about Clooney, J., he is getting better and better!