The Hidden Fortress
Guest Girl from Mars

The Daily Bugle

For about two years now, I have been subscribing to a newsletter by Judd Legum, Popular Information. I highly recommend it; you have to pay for it, but other than Facebook and Twitter, it really is worth the time and little money spent on it.

Yesterday, for instance, Judd wrote about Darden, a big restaurant chain in the US not offering their workers paid sick leave, which of course forces many of them to come to work even when their sick. Excellent timing to publish that in the time of Covid-19 ...

Today's newsletter:

Yesterday's Popular Information was about Darden, which operates Olive Garden and numerous other restaurant brands across the United States. In total, Darden employs more than 170,000 restaurant employees across 1779 locations. The newsletter focused on the fact that, except where required by law, none of Darden's restaurant employees received paid sick leave. 

I spoke to numerous current and former Darden employees who shared horror stories about restaurant workers coming in sick because they couldn't afford to miss a shift. The issue had new urgency in light of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak. 

Today the company reacted to public pressure.

About 10 hours after the piece published, Darden announced it would provide paid sick leave to all its restaurant employees. It was a dramatic change for a company that, as recently as last month, was lobbying against paid sick leave legislation. 

Effective today, Darden is providing Paid Sick Leave for every one of our hourly team members who are not covered by a policy today.

Sick leave will accrue at a rate of one (1) hour for every 30 hours worked.

Current team members have been granted a starting balance based on their most recent 26 weeks of work and can use this benefit immediately.

New team members will begin accruing sick leave upon hire and may use it after 90 days of employment.

Team members can carry over up to 40 hours each year with a maximum balance of 60 hours.

Pay rate will be based on the team member’s 13-week average.

This doesn't solve all the problems for employees at Darden. And I'll be watching closely to see how this policy is implemented. But, for the 170,000 people who work at Olive Garden and other Darden restaurants, it's a step in the right direction. 

There you have it, even one voice can make a difference. Especially a voice with good research and excellent timing. :manic: 

:jump2:  :angel:

Satisfying, is it not :manic: 

Yes, it is, and i suspect that more :mane: employers will have to do something similar. So, SOME good may come out of this mess.

SIgh.

I wonder if that is the same O.G. :dinner: we have here :dunno:  

Interesting all the same.

Paid sick leave is not a law, but most places of work in BC offer something to those employed 3 months or more.

Here paid sick leave is a law; after six weeks not the employer but the health insurance provider continues the payments.

13 hours ago, bess said:

I wonder if that is the same O.G. :dinner: we have here :dunno:  

it is :yes: look

Oh my, in Alberta only...? There is was one in Victoria BC. Seems to be gone. Well I trust the one in AB will have good employment practice.

i've never particularly cared for O.G.  Most restaurants that feature quantity do so because the quality is meh - and also, coming from San Francisco, which is full of REAL Italian restaurants . . .

For sure!

Ok to have a choice (especially an ethical one).

That's one of the really fabulous things about living in a big city - the restaurants. :swoon: we have a really wonderful small Italian one close by; they are so passionate about their food and so lovely with their guests. :pasta: :red3: 

I just watched Angela Merkel's speech addressing the Corona crisis. Very good, very much to the point. And absolutely and refreshingly un-vain. She wasn't applauding herself or her government, she wasn't boasting about how she got it all under control. I am not happy with a lot of her policies, but in the day and age of narcissists on the political stage, she is a pleasant change. An adult among a bunch of puberty-ridden posers. 

:up: :high5:

at the last big Summit i thought she was poised and patient :yes2: 

PM Trudeau (who looks like this now :logan: minus the claws :angel:) spoke this morning about important measures; not one member of the opposition parties made a peep. for once they were all in agreement.

Yes, things come into a whole new perspective, it seems. It's sad that it takes something like a pandemic to get people thinking … (and some still haven't gotten it. :roll: )

yerss  :wallbang: