The Hidden Fortress
Sign in to follow this  
Goli

Strange Day

The woman whose name was not Goli trudged up the hill from the ferry, shaking her head. She was carrying a bag heavy enough to qualify for weightlifting. It contained a ritual robe which hadnt been used since the ritual was canceled, along with another bag stuff into it, of books she had had no intention of buying. She congratulated herself for, for once, not being super cheap. If she had parked at the free church lot instead of springing for the four bucks at the (admittedly farthest but least expensive) ferry lot, she would probably not have made it back to the car.

The drive up to Canada had been uneventful. The person who was always late was late, even though the driver of the van had stated very plainly in her e-mail that since the lodge master was expecting guests, it was imperative that THIS time they left on time. The pit stop at Starbucks was smooth as always - somehow the group always managed to get in and out ahead of the line that routinely developed behind them. The seasonal venti/chestnut/praline/latte that she tried with some misgivings turned out to be very good. There was no hitch at the border crossing, other than a bored and curious Canadian who asked so many questions that his line moved SLOWER than the one with the horsetrailer in it.

Things started to fall apart immediately on arrival at the hall. Somehow, it had been double-booked. No question that their group had it legitimately as the schedule thumbtacked to the inside door proved it. But the competing party was an outfit throwing a Christmas Party. For kids. With Santa.

After some negotiation, a makeshift partition was thrown together, and the ritual group took possession of the back of the social area room, and the ritual room, leaving the rest of the area for Santa.

The ritual was one that the woman whose name is not Goli could not normally participate in, not being a member of that order. But this time, because of the master's expected guests, it was an open circle. Which was very nice for not-Goli, but not so nice for the master, since his guests never showed and didnt bother calling or texting with any excuse/reason. The noise from the delighted kids most probably distracted the legitimate order members, but not-Goli found it absolutely charming.

During the social hour-or-so that normally came between the ritual not-Goli did not participate in and the ritual conducted by the order not-Goli did belong to, a vote was taken on whether to do that ritual, or, as had been suggested by the master's wife as an alternative during the double-booking negotiation, to bag the ritual and head off to a local bookstore. Everyone except the master and his wife (who wasnt entitled to vote, since she is not a member of either order) voted without hesitation to play hookie and go shopping.

Which is how not-Goli wound up carrying a bag of great books from Banyan Books which she highly recommends to anyone lucky enough to be in the Vancouver B.C. area.

*How the shopping party got out of the rain and into an absolutely wonderful restaurant across the street with no reservation (after the advance scout, the lodge master, had been told that his party of five couldnt be seated) is another story. The dinner, though, was as wonderful as the book store.

can i comment here …? :where:

:lol: does sound like a really strange day, but in a good way! it is rather amazing to me that a solution could be found for the double booked room. :wow: (Just how do these things happen, anyway? is it so difficult to make sure everybody concerned with bookings in a place that does that regularly and as a source of income, to make sure there is only one booking per time slot and room? :neutral:

book shops and nice restaurants are always a good thing :yes::up::yes:

But of course, i only put this here because it WAS something of strange as fiction day, and too long for a normal thread. What is hysterical is that this is the THIRD time this has happened. This time it was because the Santa Party people called the person who USED to do the sign-ups, and their story is that he said it was fine, and his story is that he said it was fine with him, but that they should check with whoever is supposed to be doing the sign-ups now. The solution was found because there are the two rooms only one of which they had booked (we had both) and the social room is so big we could use the far end of it without impacting them too much (other than having to move chairs, tables, a partition, and decorations). This is a fraternal order (and so are we, and so are the Santa people) so the profit making aspect is a secondary consideration unless they are not renting between the fraternal order community).

The people in my group are all very nice people, and didn't want to disappoint the children (several dozen of them). Since i am NOT that nice a person, although i fully agreed with the decision, i also suspect that the Santa people, having gotten the answer they wanted from ONE "authority" decided not to question it and figured, "oh well, if there's a conflict, it worked out for us before, so it should work out for us again :crossed:)

:crit: i did NOT share this view with my friends :evildb:

And having a book shop of such quality right across the street from a restaurant of equal quality (organic, local stuff, reasonable price) - it's a very good thing it IS in Vancouver or it would be irresistible way too many times for the budget. Or the diet :wail:

It sounds like a pretty sucessful-in-a-strange-way day. Great book store, eatery and company is worth a bit of scheduling bother and an unusually snoopy border person. In my experience with groups of people over a 40 year volunteer/school/parent/etc. organizer double and near double booking is rife. Communication People!

Joe was in charge of opening the fire hall to the annual bike rally for several years. He resigned from that station 4 years ago. He has been telling the bike folks every year since that he can't do it as he doesn't have the keys anymore. He gives them the phone # of the new guy. They still call Joe every summer. :wallbang:

Goli, what books did you get?

:lol: excellent outcome to a very odd day...the ones who are always late are ALWAYS late, aren't they? like they live in another time zone...ther have been a number of people in my life to whom i have lied about start times.....

Astrology for Yourself - A Workbook for Personal Transformation (Douglas Block and Demetra George) - recommended by my supervisor

Thoth - The History of the Ancient Egyptian God of Wisdom (Lesley Jackson) - i found it, and my supervisor bought the other copy they had

The Opening of the Way - A Practical Guide to the Wisdom Teachings of Ancient Egypt (Isha Schwaller De Lubicz) - again, recommended by my supervisor

Demons and Spirits of the Land - Ancestral Lore and Practices (Claude Lecouteau)

Ahem, and what i had for dinner was a slice of wild mushroom quiche - the only quiche i have had in the Northwest that was about as good was from one of the French restaurants at Pike Place in Seattle. With a lovely side salad and a glass of first class sauvignon blanc from a B.C. winery. Ahem, for a lot less than the Seattle place.

Sounds like Joe's bike folks have relatives in Canada :evildb:

Actually, it was a wonderful day, and the border person was more socially curious, i think, than professionally snoopy - i would bet his performance reviews include "don't waste time with idle chat and don't socialize with the citizens, and keep that line moving . . . " Two of the three of us have NEXUS cards, so that should have gotten us through faster. (Of course, that might have BEEN this guy's fast version.)

:manic: Cresspesting - my supervisor, who is the driver, is seriously thinking about giving the late guy a fake time.

it works......

goli :heart: a strange day worth telling :yes::up:

maybe Chatty Border Guy liked your voice :p but i think what seems like social chitchat is really just establishing that you are who you say you are :angel:

i have a friend who is always late. I make sure i have a book with me whenever we are meeting somewhere away from my home. Sometimes she is so late I end up sure i have the wrong day.

:roll::lol:

And my oldest niece is late, too. When we take the train together i have learnt to be the one who gets the tickets. :lol: Too often she comes floating into the station in beautiful unconcern while the train is about to leave, and no tickets yet. But Coffee and chocolates and portuguese sandwiches are taken care of :lol::roll:

i would go mad.....

it's all Grandad's fault. we used to be so on time that we could catch the train before the one we were aiming for. i still get really wound up if folks aren't on time. when i know someone is a serial offender, i build in a bit of tolerance, (or lie about the meeting time), though i've been tempted to just leave on occasion. if it's someone i care about who's late, my imagination runs wild in the death and destruction vein... then i'm furoius when they finally turn up!!

It's my Dad's fault - he always used to estimate (generously) how long it would take to get anywhere, add a little margin of error, and leave a little earlier than that anyway. Since so much of the time i depend on the ferries to get anywhere, i leave plenty of time to get to the boat, and if i am driving, aim for the boat AHEAD of the one i really need to be on. A couple of times at Kingston/Edmonds, i have gotten there just in time to have the zealous professional taking money throw my receipt and credit card back to me, yell, "GO - GO - GO!" And gotten on the boat that is TWO boats ahead of the one i really need :roll:

Chatty Border Guy was really interested in what fraternal order we belong to. Most of them settle for "we meet at Oddfellows Hall in Burnaby". This one had to know the name of the lodge, which he hadn't heard of, and what order it was affiliated with, SOL - which he HAD heard of. Which surprised us, and definitely indicates he chats with anybody he finds interesting. The thing with the NEXUS card, which my supervisor and i both have but late guy doesn't, is that it establishes you from the get-go as on the "trusted travelers" list thingee, so he basically knew we were not dubious. When everyone in the car has the card, you just hold them all up to the scanner in the NEXUS (fast) lane, and they ask if you are bringing anything in and wave you on in about thirty seconds.

i leave plenty of time to get to the boat, and if i am driving, aim for the boat AHEAD of the one i really need to be on

:high5:

i do that with local trains, because i have sat several times in a allegedly "safe" train to get where i needed to be, and it stopped between stations and just stood there for a while.

:crit:

I really prefer sitting someplace waiting to having to rush somewhere and arrive all woolly and out of breath. :lol::sweat::fuzzy:

Yup. Especially if the sitting someplace is a :coffee: shop :oh: