The Hidden Fortress
Goli

"Musings" in Troubled Times

A little nod to where this all began, decades ago . . .  :evildb:

Anyway, yesterday i was doing some yard work when the FedEx driver showed up, heading to the young neighbors who have stuff delivered constantly.  i approached within "social distancing" standards, and remarked, "RATS! i thought this might be my :coffee:delivery, two days early.  The driver was a little shocked that i had approached here.  i said that they must all be stressed out, and she eventually said that part of the stress is people acting like THEY - the drivers - are going to infect them - the customers.  i shared the story about how i had gotten super-cautious after the senior center near-miss, and that part of MY real concern is not infecting someone else, and we talked a little more.

So, today, there was noise outside, and i went out in my bathrobe, and there was a  US Postal Service truck with the :coffee:one day early - sometimes FedEx only delivers as far as the local Post Office.  Anyway, i went out and thanked this driver, and said, "You all hang in there!"

And she blew me a kiss, from social safe distance.

Sometimes, its the little things.

Posting after moiself

Anyway, over the weekend, the last printed issue of our little local newspaper arrived - due to loss of ad revenue, they are taking a hiatus.

One of the stories was about the Kingston Ale House, a little place in the little town closest to me.  They thought it would be a nice idea to make up care packages of food for local families in need.  And started a Go Fund Me page.

As of the Monday after that story came out, they had raised a little over $11,000 ($25 of it mine).

As of the last census, Kingston's population is a little over 2,000.

Here's a pic of the first care packages:

Kingston Ale House.jpg

1 hour ago, Goli said:

As of the Monday after that story came out, they had raised a little over $11,000 ($25 of it mine).

Wow! :wow: that is amazing.

It seems like being tumbled into these strange times, a lot of people rediscover how to be good neighbors and how to take care of their community.

Your coffee delivery story is :heart: . We have a really nice DHL man. He is from Croatia and he is really trying to have everything delivered, looking for neighbors to take in the package when the intended recipient isn't at home ... stuff like that. As I am the one person who is home most of the time (or at least I was, before everybody was stuck in home office all of a sudden), I see a lot of him, and he recognizes me in the street, waving, or greeting me by name, stopping to tell me he has a package for me and will be at my place in half an hour, stuff like that. These days he is seriously overworked - he is literally running all the time, and our stairs run up five flights … I think I will get a chocolate bar or so and put a small bill in it,  just to show that we appreciate what he's doing. 

Some people started a network thing here where people who want to help in the neighborhood and others who are in need of assistance can register. 

And on Instagram there is a story project where people share positive stories, and a young lady who works as an illustrator wrote about how she keeps seeing her neighbors only when they are on their balconies - and now they have started having their first morning coffee together, each on her balcony. And being an illustrator, she drew them, of course … 

IMG_4977.jpg.5702465df8989703dc5f0115851bd544.jpgIMG_4976.jpg.86d809a4126e7ee282ce8fe9c0662a67.jpgIMG_4975.jpg.e5f65b7614c668b7597ac295f4ca98e0.jpgIMG_4974.jpg.d128e113338279f57d45ff26f1c3bbce.jpgIMG_4973.jpg.c867fe489b24707c03649a54d3f8bb63.jpg

all drawings ©Leonie Herzog, Hamburg.

Those are WONDERFUL :swoon:

This makes me so happy, I think people are awesome! :heart:

:yes: just when you think mankind is a cesspool people go and act like this. :heart: 

So, our little HOA (Home Owners Association) has a little clubhouse and a little children's playground.  Someone in the neighborhood put up a sign informing everyone that they are sanitizing the playground, with bleach and then rinsing, etc.  And, once people have used the playground equipment in keeping with the social distancing guidelines, all they have to do is text the number on the sign, and the person(s) will come out again and re-sanitize the equipment. 

And back in California, where i was born, somebody whose mother probably wanted to spank his little butt when he took apart the family vacuum cleaner and couldn't put it back together again is probably quite proud of him now:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/10873701-181/can-you-fix-ventilators-a?sba=AAS

3 hours ago, Goli said:

So, our little HOA (Home Owners Association) has a little clubhouse and a little children's playground.  Someone in the neighborhood put up a sign informing everyone that they are sanitizing the playground, with bleach and then rinsing, etc.  And, once people have used the playground equipment in keeping with the social distancing guidelines, all they have to do is text the number on the sign, and the person(s) will come out again and re-sanitize the equipment. 

That is very clever. :up: Here all playgrounds are closed down; must be very hard on the little kids. :rollbaby: 

2 hours ago, Goli said:

And back in California, where i was born, somebody whose mother probably wanted to spank his little butt when he took apart the family vacuum cleaner and couldn't put it back together again is probably quite proud of him now:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/10873701-181/can-you-fix-ventilators-a?sba=AAS

That's perfect! :up: 

:up: to all things positive, the Up-side :heart:

the drawings are lovely :swoon: 

i took a walk in one of the nicer local neighborhoods.  Someone has been busily painting rocks with little drawings and messages, and leaving them at various mailboxes and light posts all along one little road, and in a neighborhood garden.  Wish i'd had the camera with me - they are very simple, but very comforting.

aw, nice :yes2: 

That is sweet ❤️