The Hidden Fortress
Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

repeat performance

i am not sure about you guys - but i have books i like to read more than once, and movies i watch at least once a year. last night ( :roll: ) i was on play.com - never a good idea after 2 am since i seem to have a very low temptation threshold at that hour :lol: . i bought a pile of movies, each for £ 5. lots of long time favourites - Body Double with Melanie Griffith, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, She-Devil, Trading Places …

We watch 'Nightmare Before Christmas' every year. When I'm feeling down I watch Jurassic Park. Dinosaurs always cheer me up. Terry Pratchett books come up for re-read regularly, even though I can remember the story (others have to wait until I've forgotten the details), and 'Good Omens' gets read about every 6 months.

Why not re-read or re-watch what you enjoy - it's no different to listening to a CD again!!! :p

i have read and re-read LOTR some ten times or so, i guess … i must admit that the movies put a stop to that, at least for now. Stepen King's The Stand is a repeater for me, too, it looks immensely lived--in by now :p the Heyer regency novels, too.

book - hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, the complete malory towers by enid blyton, the BFG by roald dahl, haroun and the sea of stories and the satanic verses by salman rushdie.

movies - speed. ocean's 11. how to steal a million. pretty much any candy floss romance.

Guest Girl from Mars

Books: The Beach (my fave book)

Movies: Snatch, My best Friend's Wedding (can I be Julia in my next life? :angel:)

Books - I have read the The Chronicles of Prydain just about every year since I was 12 or 13. I am currently re-reading The Lord of the Rings. The Secret History by Donna Tartt is another one that I never tire of.

Movies - Howard and I watch Signs more often than is healthy. And Howard must have seen Tremors at least one a year ever since it was released. My top re-watches are Return to Me, Young at Heart, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, The Princess Bride. All movies I love that are easy to watch. Most of my favourite films are too heavy or involving to watch too often, but these are all light and pleasing.

breakfast at tiffany's! *sigh... she was just SO lovely in that film. :swoon:

i really need to get the dvd of princess bride. :lol: that one could, i think, replace 'the hitchhiker's guide' as a pick-me-up. :manic:

I reread my Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels books and the M.F.K. Fisher books I have, especially The Art of Eating.

I will watch Harvey any time it's on. And the Uninvited. Also I find Last Night oddly comforting and life affirming. I finally got a copy of it! :jump:

I watch Buffy when I feel lost. Or when I feel happy. Or....well, you get the idea!

I haven't seen many of the ones you mention: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Princess Bride, are 2 I really want to see.

I have so many I plan to watch, I even rent them and then I find it hard to find 2 uninterrupted hours when I'm in the mood or awake enough to do so.

Mad, I love it that dinosaurs cheer you up! :jump2:

I'm not sure what's up (I know, wrong thread) but for the last few months, the repeat performance things haven't really been working too well. Not even some of my normally tried and true things. I'm feeling restless, I guess, somehow. I don't even have the urge to bid on another piece of Shelley china I don't need on E-bay. :roll:

oh dear. that's very worrying... :huh:

is it time to cultivate a new indulgence? discover a new obsession? maybe it's time to travel... down to india perhaps? :p

oh dear. that's very worrying... :huh:

is it time to cultivate a new indulgence? discover a new obsession? maybe it's time to travel... down to india perhaps? :p

It has been disconcerting, and don't I WISH I could get on a plane to India. :green:

discover a new obsession?
:bigeyes: i read that as "dicover a new obscenity" :manic: i must be tired :p

Goli, i have that, too - times when none of the usual stalwarts seem to work, when they feel all empty of their solace and easiness. i have to turn to al-new stuff then. the magic of the old friends usually comes back after a while, at least for me it does.

Goli, i have that, too - times when none of the usual stalwarts seem to work, when they feel all empty of their solace and easiness. i have to turn to al-new stuff then. the magic of the old friends usually comes back after a while, at least for me it does.

I am trying some all new stuff - starting with the Peggy Guggenheim bios, I am reading about that set of artists/writers/drinkers, etc. who hung out in Paris in the first half of the twentieth century. And one semi-old acquaintance, NOT a friend, is still interesting. I'm reading another biography of Aleister Crowley (who of course overlaps that period). Interestingly enough, every single person who has written about him has a different take/agenda.

I'm reading another biography of Aleister Crowley (who of course overlaps that period). Interestingly enough, every single person who has written about him has a different take/agenda.

yes, that is the interesting (and confusing) thing about reading more than one biography about the same person :lol:

I'm reading another biography of Aleister Crowley (who of course overlaps that period). Interestingly enough, every single person who has written about him has a different take/agenda.

yes, that is the interesting (and confusing) thing about reading more than one biography about the same person :lol:

It was also interesting in the case of Sylvia Plath/Ted Hughes - biographers tended to take sides in the relationship, among other things. With Crowley, though, the widely diverging bios are sometimes as over the top as the subject himself. Crowley's own "autohagiography" provided a good jumping off place, especially since he was NOT averse to exaggeration, and outright lying, as well as malicious tale bearing (or tale making for that matter). Setting aside entirely the stuff he is most famous for, his occult reputation and work, he would have been an interesting subject just for the stuff like his poetry (he ranked himself with Shakespeare and believed that Yeats opposed him in a fracas within the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn because Yeats was jealous of his poetry- sigh), his ability as a chessplayer and mountain climber, his travel writings, his drug addictions and philandering, his ability to squander a large inheritance, etc. etc. The current book that I'm reading is more centered around those aspects, and so far hasn't taken much of a stand one way or the other on the magical stuff.