The Hidden Fortress
jana

i *SEE* you

Last afternoon we had 24 degrees on the shaded back porch and 34 out front in the sun :shock:

I sat at a fan :fan: with :knit:and

:water:.

:sweat:glad The Fort is back!

:up:

Er, VERY glad to have missed the outage :yes2:

Yesterday turned out to be not too bad - mostly because i didn't do very much :seesaw: 

4 hours ago, Goli said:

Yesterday turned out to be not too bad - mostly because i didn't do very much :seesaw: 

Always an excellent solution :up: :lol:  :lazy: 

5 hours ago, bess said:

I sat at a fan :fan: with :knit:and

:water:.

:up: 

yes, I am glad, too. It was rather quick, after they found out what it was about. I was a bit :shock: that I was the one who had to fix it :lol: thankfully they gave me very good (and simple :lol: ) instructions, where and how to do it.

live and learn :smart: 

:manic:   :up:

back from the silly-busy village :roll:  ahead of a holiday weekend everyone :panic: 

:crit: 

now I have to find me one of them seesaws for not doing much :seesaw: 

:angel: 

:lol: 

what holiday is it? :crit: we don't have one. :wail: 

We are off to Ikea to get a desk and chair for Migi since he will be sharing my office (in his free time, that is :p )

it is called Labour Day, which when i grew up was something to do with recognizing union workers, and the big unions would sponsor a rally/picnic somewhere. now we just take the day off as it is the last weekend before school starts, and most work slows to a halt through August for holidays (except road construction :hat: )... :panic: for those for whom summer is over :shock:

The US has this long weekend also but called something else. Arbor Day? :huh2:  goli, jude, help...

ps - i hope the Ikea trip was a success :up:

:green: the nearest one, i have to take the ferry :boat: :neutral: :sigh:

saw at my f/b page that the yarn store in the village announced a clearance sale - noticed after i got home :wail: but then the library e-mailed that a book is there for me (4th and final Murderbot novella :jump2:) *and* the lady for whom i test knit sweaters wants a yoke portion checked, timely to check the sale then :musthave:

maybe less panic at library and yarn store. after breakfast i’m going in. 

:gogetem:

excellent plan, bess. Yarn store sales are mandatory. :p :knit: 

My Ikea is three busstops away :manic: (inner city bus stops, so it takes about 6 minutes). And since we have everything delivered, nothing to lug home, either. :up: :joy: it was a very successful trip.

oh nice on all counts :oh:

i will report back :salute:

Success at IKEA, success with yarn :up:

It's Labor Day Weekend here, too, by the way.

Ahem, the excitement of the day yesterday was the discovery that, sometime Wednesday night, some idiot hit our mailboxes - five of them, on a shelf, held up with four-by-fours, and knocked the whole thing over :crit: 

Also, earlier in the week, an alder tree had fallen on a neighbor's house, fortunately doing no damage.  The tree is on rez property behind, so the tribal elder who owns that land came out Tuesday evening to check it out (and admired Ms. Kristi, who allowed him to pet her).  So Wednesday and Thursday, guys with chainsaws were out and took out the fallen tree and took down about eight others as well.

wow, Goli, that was a week with excitements. :oh:

Trees falling on houses are no fun, though, are they? My brother co-owns a barn next to his property, and a couple of years back two big poplars were blown down by a storm and flattened half of the barn. No people hurt, and even the machinery and cars were not really damaged aside form some scratches. Poplars are prone to falling when they grow too big, and next to some of the houses on his property is another stand of big old poplars. They are beautiful so nobody wants them taken down, not even the people living next to them ... but with each really bad storm I hope it blows from the "other" side.

:crossed: that it does.  i don't like to have to take down trees, either, but the alders are short-lived and tend to fall on their own.  There is one relatively small one in the front that is growing in the wrong place that i do have to have taken down, and so, when i get that done, probably wisest to have someone take a look at a few in the back.  Unfortunately, those are on my land, so i will have to pay for anything that absolutely has to be done.

A big :up: for our local post office driver.  One of my neighbors carefully set all five of the mailboxes in order up out of the ditch on the side of the road, on the ground, hoping they would deliver the mail.  AND THEY DID :shock: 

judicious weeding :smart: 

oh that is lovely about the postie :yes:  :mail: 

my little yarn foray was brief and productive. found precisely what i wanted (wool, light brown), but not in the sale bin, which had been pawed through thoroughly since yesterday already:pie2:away to the hardware store, the library :book:  which all went well except at the hardware and the library another customer and i seemed to be in each other's circuit. it got so i did some extra browsing rather than end up behind her again in a checkout line :lol: 

On 8/31/2019 at 10:30 PM, bess said:

at the hardware and the library another customer and i seemed to be in each other's circuit. it got so i did some extra browsing rather than end up behind her again in a checkout line

that can be curiously awkward, right? I guess that's our deepest animal instincts coming through, trying not to invade other people's spaces (and not have them invade ours).