The Hidden Fortress
jana

i *SEE* you

beautiful animals. long may they enjoy the apples :apple: :yes2:  maybe share with you too  :wink:

bears would eat the  apples here. and break the tree :shock:  

there are Roosevelt elk on the northern part of the island, sadly few left on mainland BC due to :hat: :shovel: human activity :sigh: :grumpy: 

2 hours ago, bess said:

bears would eat the  apples here. and break the tree :shock:  

:shock: :duck: 

when I was house sitting in July, a deer came up close to the house to look for good things to eat. My host is a hunter, and he said, "Deer are gourmets, they do not eat just anything." :lol: 

:shock:  how true that is!   :lol:

Yup - fortunately, one of the things the deer DON'T like are marigolds. i got one free from Heronswood on some sort of "Plant Day" and it has thrived even though a deer passed right by it (and left droppings a few feet away). 

We have lots of Roosevelt elk on the Olympic Peninsula, in fact, one of the reasons Olympic National Park was established was to protect them.  Another reason to respect them.  i will never forget stopping to take pics of them along the Bogachiel from what i thought was a safe distance.  The big guy in charge of the herd disagreed, stared right at me, and let out a stern "WHOOF!" Took the camera and went right back in the car.

Another time, driving down the Hood Canal, the state patrol had stopped traffic because the herd there was crossing the highway, complete with quite a bit of bugling.

not to be argued with :shock: :wow: 

:green:  a plant obtained from Heronswood is special :omm: 

i haven't had a chance with marigolds. the :snail: get them first :crit:  :grumpy: :sigh: 

I checked out Roosevelt elk on Google :wow: Wapiti. Impressive animals, I can see why you didn't try to argue, Goli :yes2: 

Concerning the :snail:  - we have been lucky these past two years; it was too dry for them. I find one now and then when it has been raining, but nothing compared to the amount from the years before.

The year before I thought they had eaten a normally very lush campanula down to the last stem; and then I watched one of the culprits at work and it was a mouse :shock: :mouse: 

:shock: I wouldn't have guessed!

Slugs leave trails. Sneaky mouse!

:mouse::crit: 

Who'd have suspected?

Our Elk are Roosevelt and they don't seem to leave. They are of course not ' our' beasts. everyone's lol But  it is exciting to see them  hang around a while .  Ben got one to bugle at him back. Probably not a good idea much. There are about 20 or 30 and 3 or 4 bulls. Ben has pictures of them and if you like he should be able to show some. Those guys are pretty wyly. they go up to the cameras and snort at them. lol

Goli, marigolds always make  me think of my Grandma, she had me put some in the garden in a ring, for some reason. I didn't like the smell of the flowers but I loved my Gran so always did it for her. When she got her pension once a month she and I had fresh oysters at the local tiny restaurant.  Worth it all around!

Do any of you know anything about Grafting apples?  

since I haven't had a garden that would support an apple tree, no, I have no clue. My brothers both could tell you a lot about it, Jude. The older went and grafted twigs from all our old apple trees in the orchard of the place we grew up in and grafted them on three little trees in his gardens. There were so many old varieties in that orchard … :heart: 

I would love to see some of Ben's photos of the elk :yes: you know me - always one for piccies :p  :musthave: 

:up: on all counts.

Especially the Grandma story :heart:

Grafting...in the section on Plant Propagation in my garden book. That's all I know :neutral:

Worth saving old varieties :yes2:

Mackie your bro' is a plant whisperer!

Up-the-road neighbour has a King, one apple is big enough for a pie :wow:

2 hours ago, bess said:

:up: on all counts.

What Bess just said.  Also a pic of the apple big enough for :pie2:

:wink: from the Wiki :angel:

this is just a small one :shock:

008king.jpg