The Hidden Fortress
jana

i *SEE* you

You did, but DEFINITELY worth a re-run.

:manic: thank you :appl:It always makes me remember how lucky I am to live here. Such a gorgeous city.

Yes, I think the video is cool, especially the end credit extra - rather un-German :p 

I did buy the magazin, too - it is brilliant.

:high5:

Bev, thanks for helping me get my password sorted and Mackie, for doing it. I have now put my password in 4 or 5 places LOL.   Frazzled at the moment. I woke up at about 8 this morning and it smelled like smoke . I dashed around checking all the rooms up stares and then I noticed there was pale smoke to the east. There are 2 fires near the Dam . It seems to be control. Evidently it's from a dry Fall and low humidity. This is weird weather this year. Lots  of rain, when we expected   a lovely Autumn it goes right into Winter....:huh2:  

:shock:   Yikes that would be a rude awakening! Maybe smoke in the atmosphere is what is giving us dramatic sunsets here!

Glad you're here again Jude  :smooch:

yes, Jude, welcome back :smooch: 

Waking up smelling smoke is no fun, glad it doesn't seem to be threatening for the moment. I hope it stays that way. What we see and hear from California looks absolutely frightening.

It's very frightening.  i am SO glad i left California when i did.  Smelling smoke here means the neighbors are using their woodstoves.

Er, losing passwords is not fun at all :nosee:

The California fires are just dreadful, Like hell! :loki:

:sad: yes

Horrible. And each year worse than the year before, it seems ...

Yes, as are the storms, tornados, and flooding in the east and south.  A lot of it may be climate change, but there has been lots and lots of building in areas that have been flood plains in the past and prone to fires in the past.  Sigh.

yes, we have a lot of very low areas, everything humans fought the sea for, big so-called "Köge" where the land is under sea level and only survives through the protection by high sea dikes. These areas always have suffered storm floodings. Now the dikes are getting higher and higher, and at the same time the river Elbe is being artificially deepened to keep Hamburgs port alive, an inland port trying to compete with the huge Netherland sea ports. The water comes rushing up the river faster and faster, the tide is going way past Hamburg now, and that is 108 km / 68 miles of river from the North Sea. There used to be flooding areas along the river that could take up much of any incoming storm tide - but that is all closed off now, the small houses standing on warfts (small artificial hills) made room for modern housing with basements or if they survived, they have been renovated into luxury weekend homes, and they do not want to face a storm tide or two each year with drowned basements and flooded gardens, so the dikes are sealed and the small rivers all have sluices.

Climate change accelerates all that. A really bad mix, isn't it.

Yes, it is.  And it looks like it will only get worse, :crossed2:  that enough of the youngest generation coming up get their minds off the shallow side of social media and do a better job than their elders have done.

Collectively things are being done :yes2: much of it without a lot of noise. 

Yes ppl have built where they want to, not that they need to, or worse, ppl have been displaced to dangerous areas and they are the ones that suffer :sad:

On 11/2/2019 at 5:53 PM, bess said:

Yes ppl have built where they want to, not that they need to, or worse, ppl have been displaced to dangerous areas and they are the ones that suffer :sad:

yes, that is the worst.