The Hidden Fortress
jana

i *SEE* you

Guilty as charged :roflmao:

Stormy weather ... no trains, schools closed. We had a very blustery walk today - Jette's ears were almost upright most of the time :lol: 

:wow: That is stormy! :stagger:

We have a semi-sunny quiet day after a LOT of rain :boat:

Still winter :crit:  :p

For something to do we changed the handles on the kitchen cupboards.

New plain blackened brass are good, the old filigree handles had evil tendencies. Clothing would catch, fingers twisted or nails broken. :evil:

Yesterday was actually beautiful :oh:

Sort of had enough of the rain :roll:

And, yes, there are very nice places for filigree, but not, methinks, on hardware :crit:

our fishmarket walk was flooded yesterday. Jette wanted to swim, I was glad I had kept her on the leash ... 

image.png.cebaf40b1b8f13516eff8af9e2cb362e.png

örgs that is high water :shock:

Not a good swimming place  :no:

:coffee:

The very first time we found high water in our way, Jette was off the leash and delighted to find a chance for a swim :nosee: It was in the place where the flooding comes first (I didn't know that back then), a narrow path between an old storehouse and the river that ends in a flight of stairs. There were people around so I couldn't see ahead far enough to realize the foot of the stairway was already in water.

Jette charged happily ahead and into the water, which was rather turbulent, with waves and an outward current :shock: Luckily for me and Jette, a young man in wellies had the presence of mind to grab her by the scruff of her neck and put her in a window embrasure. She was not amused, but I was so glad ... walked into the water (almost up to my knees, with NO wellies) and picked up my little seal (the German word for seal is Seehund = sea dog. That's exactly what she is.)

So yes, by now I know enough to keep her on a leash near interesting swimming locations :p 

On 2/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, bess said:

For something to do we changed the handles on the kitchen cupboards.

New plain blackened brass are good, the old filigree handles had evil tendencies. Clothing would catch, fingers twisted or nails broken. :evil:

good idea :up: It can be such a constant nagging annoyance if a handle is snaggy like that. :snap: 

The pic is :swoon: by the way, but no - certainly NOT a place for such a  small Seehund to venture into.

At least now you know what she thinks she is capable of doing, though, and can take precautions.   i have a picture in my mind of Jette's  expression, sitting safely in the window embrasure, mad as hell at her nice rescuer :roflmao:

She barked at him in vociferous indignation :lol: 

When the flooding begins on Fishmarket, it starts with water coming out of the gullies. :wow: The area is cobblestoned and very uneven, so there first are big puddles which grow into small lakes, with the water gushing through the rainwater drains, only backwards, making bubble fountains until the water is so high that it meets the rising river and it is one big lake. There still are several buildings under flood level - the old fishmongers' hall, several old storehouses, converted into office and store space, and a row of houses on the waterfront, also a new building housing the shop and ticket counter for the submarine museum. Said submarine (fixed permanently to the riverbank) sometimes sits very high & dry, but was "sub" for the first time in years yesterday :lol: The buildings all have waterproof ground floors and the office buildings have bridges on the upper floor crossing the flooded street to higher ground so nobody is stuck inside. Tourists are always puzzled about the huge steel shutters in front of doors and windows and go :shock: when you explain what they are there for. :p 

I am going  :shock:  just reading   :roll:   :wow:

:lol: about the sub museum  :p

I dug up some pics from last year …

A water spewing gully ...

IMG_4194.jpg

... and the path between the storehouse and the river, only  little earlier in the rising tide.

IMG_4193.jpg

When you don't have to deal with it, the flooding does make gorgeous pics.  AND it seems as if Hamburg, as opposed to many parts of the US, is prepared for it.

Too bad you don't have a video of the ungrateful RescueeSeehund.

Now that the danger is well in the past.

Yes, a pity :lol:  

This part of Hamburg always had floodings, so yes, everybody is used to it. And we have huge flood walls all around, too.