Mackie

The CookBook

Mackie   

when i told her that Jude had been looking for the thread with the Stifado recipe all over and couldn't find it, Jana said that we might need a recipe thread.

now we have one. :yes::oh:

Mackie   

Stifado (a Greek stew)

you take about as much meat as onions, cube the meat, and fry it for a moment in olive oil.

take it out, and fry a few chopped garlic cloves, then add red wine (for one kilo beef, take about haff a liter), tomato paste (3 tbsp), some cloves, a cinnamon stick, salt and pepper, a tbsp sugar, and add the meat, and the peeled whole onions (do take small onions :yes: )

keep on the stove for about three hours.

eat. :yes::dinner::glass:

as always with stews, you can basically do as you wish, you can take peeled tomatoes instead of the paste, for instance. just make sure to let it simmer long enough.

jana   

the unobscene roast

marinade: olive oil, rosemary, garlic and salt.

plonk pieces of chicken in marinade and leave them overnight. if you want a veggie version, try cauliflower and potatoes. basically, anything that soaks in marinades and doesn't have an overriding flavour of its own will work well with this one. baby potatoes - with toothpicked holes in them - taste like small bites of heaven with this marinade.

after marinating it overnight, either put it in the oven to cook or put it in the pressure cooker (depending upon continent and inclination). that's it. entirely delicious. :yes:

Guest Sue   
Guest Sue

Jana - I use that marinade with lamb. Marinade a lamb joint over night and then part way through the cooking time put the lamb directly on the oven shelf and add par-boiled potatoes to the pan it had been cooking in and put it on the shelf below so the juices from the lamb drip on to the potatoes...yummmy!

jana   

sounds totally lovesome. :yes:

jana   

another nice marinade for chicken:

lemon juice

thick-ish chicken stock/ chicken bouillon granules and water*

garlic, minced

pepper

marinate for a couple of hours. chuck into oven. slobber after the chicken is cooked. :oh:

any uncomplicated mackerel recipes, anyone? :dinner:

*it shouldn't be too watery, hence thick-ish stock. if you're using water, then very little water. not more than 6 or 8 tablespoons.

Guest Sue   
Guest Sue

hmmmm...lemon chicken...!

my easy mackerel: stuff mackerel with fresh thyme and slices of lemon and barbecue...nice!

Mackie   
my easy mackerel: stuff mackerel with fresh thyme and slices of lemon and barbecue...nice!

:slobber: again!!!! :swoon:

Guest Girl from Mars   
Guest Girl from Mars

Greek salad today. Cucumber cubes, cherry tomatos. feta cheese, olives and bell pepper cubes (orange, green, yellow or red, does not matter). Add aceto balsamico and lemon olive oil (sorry Boo), sprinkle in some interesting spices and voilà.

And yay! My first post in here, I don't cook but I can manage to make some salads and stuff.

jana   

mars, :smooch: i don't cook either. i just throw things in together. :lol:

sue, will try that soon. :oh:

Guest Sue   
Guest Sue
And yay! My first post in here, I don't cook but I can manage to make some salads and stuff.

And it sounds wonderful! Will definitely try that one...!

(We are all very lemony at the moment, are n't we? Poor Boo)

Betty   

Evil wenches :db:

Greek salad today. Cucumber cubes, cherry tomatos. feta cheese, olives and bell pepper cubes (orange, green, yellow or red, does not matter). Add aceto balsamico and lemon olive oil (sorry Boo), sprinkle in some interesting spices and voilà.

Sounds delightful. Apart from the :lemon:

For lunch I had a caesar salad with warm chicken (sorry, Mars), followed by an Onken peach mousse :drool:

All I can cook is vegetable soup, chicken & vegetable soup :roll:, spaghetti bolognaise and chilli con carne.

jana   

soup is good. :yes: the only soup i can legitimately manage is tomato soup. which i made yesterday. tossed rice into the leftover today (along with some corn, yellow peppers and mushrooms and a little celery) and it turned into something between a risotto and a pilaf. :lol: