The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

The CookBook

:lol: and that's a wide range …

i am a really adventurous eater :yes::oh::dinner:

i'd be more, but i'm aware my insides don't necessarily agree. too spicy (ie. anything above vaguely tasty) or containing mayo (sometimes) or an occasional rogue element that i haven't isolated yet, and i'll regret it in about one and a half hours.... :bomb:

Black Bean Soup before i forget the how-to :nosee:

This quantity serves 4.

Ingredients, more or less:

2 stalks of celery

2 small onions

thyme and/or oregano

2 bay leaves

1 garlic clove

1 small red chili

1 green bell pepper

1 red bell pepper

800 g. of black beans plus their liquid (canned, tetra-pak, or cooked beforehand)

400 ml. water

4 eggs for poaching (optional)

In a big pot put some olive oil for stir-frying, add celery chopped small, and 2 onions sliced (red onion in the video, white onion in the kitchen of bess). Add herbs for flavour: thyme or oregano, 2 bay leaves, and a chopped up garlic clove and half a red chili cut up. Chop one red and one green pepper into small chunks (remove seeds and stem!) and add those. Stir well, then prep the salsa topping:

Take a handful of cilantro, remove stems (chop them and add to the pot of veg.), chop the leaves, put into a small bowl. Add 1 jalapeño and 1 red chili pepper finely sliced, squeeze a whole lime overall and mix in olive oil to taste.

To the pot of veg. add the prepared black beans and the 400 ml. of water (about 2 cups). Bring to the boil, cook for ten minutes with lid off. Reduce heat, remove bay leaves. Whiz the soup a bit with an immersion blender, or remove about a quarter of the soup, whir it smooth in a blender-blender, return the purée to the pot. Gently crack the eggs into the soup to poach. When done, ladle soup into bowls, top each serving with a poached egg, some salsa, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with warmed/toasted tortillas.

This is a Jamie Oliver healthy-food-recipe that he got from some a family in Costa Rica. I made this soup today, didn't bother with eggs, didn't have the salsa ingredients or tortillas (pity!) but I'll make it again with all the goodies :manic:

mmm!

really could do to have onion-free recipes if anyone has them. neither madsMum nor Lorna at work can eat them without mega gastric discomfort...

most recipes listing onions can certainly be made without :yes2:

this soup would be fine without, add more celery instead.

yes, most of the time onions are optional, unless it is supposed to be onion soup :wink:

soup looks nice, bess :oh: :slobber:

ok... though if i eat veggie, most of the flavour seems to be onion!! :lol: mind you, my tastebuds aren't sophisticated!

:wink:

erm yes i think onion soup without onion would be... hot water? :huh::silly2:

i don't think i've ever made onion soup :dunno:

i've never had it, do you know a good recipe?

:bigeyes::batting3:

i have a very basic one, i think … i will look it up tomorrow :yes:

proper onion soup is :swoon:

ok, i'll bite (pun intended) - what is proper onion soup?