The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

The CookBook

Guest Sue

I had garlic fudge once. (it was horrid!)

The Fudge Aztec sauce is lovely! Just hot enough. Unfortunately Matt & Joe think so too and it is quickly vanishing. I'll have to hide the jar! :db:

am attempting an experimental chicken (experimental as in i have no recipe :p ) involving raw mango pulp, chicken and ginger. i don't exactly know what i'm going to do but some inspiration will strike me. didi has seen how erratically i cook. :lol: wish me luck... :salute:

last thing i heard from Mumbai is that the chicken was a success. :p

Sounds yummy, J :lolly:

What did you end up doing with everything?

made mango pulp by plonking mango with a little bit of water and a dash of mustard seed in pressure cooker.

took mango out. there was a little bit of water and the mustard seeds still in the pot. put in ginger paste. let it sputter with the mustard seeds. after the smell of ginger started rising, added the chicken and a little oregano. if you do this on a low flame, the chicken will start releasing it's own juices and you don't have to add oil/ butter. add salt.

after the chicken was fried, put it aside along with it's juices.

beat a little sugar and soya sauce into the raw mango pulp. i have a feeling this will be FABULOUS with semi-ripe mangoes.

roasted two dried red chillies and cumin powder. when that was well roasted, added the mango pulp and a little water (depends on how watery you want it). into it went the chicken. cook for a bit, until the sauce is as thick as you want it. et finito! :manic:

am off garlic and onions. but i still like beef - take that as you will :evil:

...and ginger... :manic:

found this on a piece of paper when i was pretending to clean up - actually looking for an article intended for publishing, arrived ages before the deadline and guess who misplaced it :roll:

anyway what have we -

"When I was

When I was single

In the distant past a roommate extolled the taste

White bread, fresh from its plastic package, thickly buttered, the ultimate accompaniment to spaghetti & meatballs. Now I wouldn't touch the stuff."

Give me stale whole wheat bread and good olive oil for dipping; chili made with squash, red beans and roasted hot peppers :snap:

also luv your chicken creation Jana :oh:

actually looking for an article intended for publishing, arrived ages before the deadline and guess who misplaced it :roll:

that's why i hate it when people send stuff too early :neutral:

"When I was

When I was single

In the distant past a roommate extolled the taste

White bread, fresh from its plastic package, thickly buttered, the ultimate accompaniment to spaghetti & meatballs. Now I wouldn't touch the stuff."

:lol:

Give me stale whole wheat bread and good olive oil for dipping; chili made with squash, red beans and roasted hot peppers :snap:

yummy!! :yes:

I had lamb rogan josh last night. Sooooooooooo yummy :yes:

Will have the leftovers tonight :drool: :slobber:

am attempting an experimental chicken (experimental as in i have no recipe :p ) involving raw mango pulp, chicken and ginger. i don't exactly know what i'm going to do but some inspiration will strike me. didi has seen how erratically i cook. :lol: wish me luck... :salute:

Didi, the way you cook looked like alchemy :blubb: to me; you reminded me of kids with their "little chemist" box, experimenting, but from what i tested and can read now, i would say very interesting and delicious alchemy :musthave:

Betty, now i feel hungry :lolly:

Question for Sue:

I watched a show tonight on the Food Network called the Great Cake-OFF. ( I kid you not). One entry was especially interesting and , to me, unusual. It was a mandarin orange, almond & ginger flavored cake that was steamed, not baked. The recipe was based on an old Chinese recipe.

Have you ever make a steamed cake, Sue or anyone? How did it turn out?

For Kate's birthday I have slaved away and gone to the enormous bother of phoning the bakery to order her choice of a Fudge/Cream cheese cake. :lol: The tricky bit will be finding the Sponge-Bob decorations to go on top.

Guest Sue

Jude - a fudge/cream cheese cake sounds divine!

I have made a steamed sponge pudding before, but not a cake as such - very important it is well-sealed during the steaming process (one I cooked was n't and was still not cooked after 12 hours steaming). Steamed puddings/cakes have the advantage of being very moist and lush, but can be rather heavy and stodgy; small slices are the way to go...and possibly a little custard! These days the only steamed puddings I make are Christmas puddings.

Oh no...actually I remember when I was about 8 I made a steamed Caribbean banana cake - quite nice but rather an odd bready texture as I recall.