The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

The CookBook

the rogan josh is a lamb or goat curry, like didi said. it's a kashmiri recipe, in terms of origin so it's rich and choc-o-bloc with spices but as with most kashmiri recipes, a lot of the taste comes from the juices of the meat itself. this is why the kashmiris looked down on chicken because there's no distinctive flavour to the flesh. i suspect it's also because they didn't have chickens, just like they didn't have vegetables. hence the absence of greens in their food. :wink:

one version of rogan josh is made without garlic and onions because some kashmiri brahmins are strict vegetarians and garlic and onions are banned for them.

almost every spice in the world finds its way into a rogan josh: fennel seeds, asafoetida, cumin, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper... you name it, it's there. :lol: as my grandfather (strict vegetarian but not kashmiri) used to say, "if you cooked my 8 year old shoes with that much spice, even that would taste fab." :p funny, but not true. the meat - when it's fresh, young and juicy - really does impart a delicious flavour.

It just sounds so wonderful! I WANT some right now!! :oh:

I googled asafoetida and am not much wiser, the most sensible comment was "derived from a species of giant fennel". So...is it kind of anise/licorice flavor?

Guest Sue

I love olives!!! There is a street stall in Bath which sells the most amazing selection of fresh olives...some stuffed with deta and others with sun-blush tomatoes or anchovies. I cannot resist buying a tub to eat while we potter around the shops.

Perhaps your restaurants are more authentic Betty, cos in Bristol everywhere does chicken rogan josh as well as lamb...although often I am put off when curries are described as chicken, prawn, vegetable or meat...that 'meat' is just too vague to be comfortable with.

Love pancakes...and worship at the dieters' altar to quark (and quorn). I like to bake a cod fillet smothered in a mixture of quark, egg and low-fat cheese (and lots of seasoning)....nice and healthy with a green salad.

asafoetida is... very hard to describe! :lol: it's actually a kind of hardened sap. can be quite stinky, if you're not used to it. i find it quite stinky raw but i don't mind the flavour once cooked. there's a cool fried bread we make which has asafoetida kneaded into the dough. i remember telling mars about it once.

trivia: in french, asafoetida is known as devil's shit. :p go figure how bad it smells... :tease:

the taste is actually oniony, jude. in a lot of strict vegetarian cooking, it's used to substitute onions. didi will probably be able to tell you much more about it's medicinal values but i know that it's a damn good digestive.

Guest Girl from Mars

Whoa, onions don't go with vegetarian cooking? :huh: Yep, remember our talk about asafötida, we are using it regularly in our Indian dishes, it helps the digestion and even tho it really does stink you don't notice it in the food.

Quark is also the name of one of the Ferengi's in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

one version of rogan josh is made without garlic and onions because some kashmiri brahmins are strict vegetarians and garlic and onions are banned for them.

:huh:

That doesn't quite make sense. How can onions and garlic NOT go with a veggie diet :huh2:

I know what you mean about "meat" dishes, Sue. :no: I need more detail when it comes to what I'm eating.

I'm now thinking I should have lamb rogan josh for my tea :yes: Its one of the very few dishes I've not tried at Monty's

the point of non-vegetarian in hinduism is not so much the meat itself as what it does to your body. so pretty much all high protein, heating foods are cancelled from the list: onion, garlic, a particular type of lentil even, and alcohol. :p

the point of non-vegetarian in hinduism is not so much the meat itself as what it does to your body. so pretty much all high protein, heating foods are cancelled from the list: onion, garlic, a particular type of lentil even, and alcohol. :p

:shock:

i think i prefer to remain heated.

Guest Sue

:shock:

i think i prefer to remain heated.

:yes: I am all for hot, garlicky lentils!!!

I really can't imagine life without onions & garlic. There ar whole restaraunts in California dedicated to garlic dishes. One is The Stinking Rose. Even ice cream I hear. A place called Gilroy has an annual garlic festival.

Garlic makes me feel happy! :joy:

A place called Gilroy has an annual garlic festival.

have a recipe book from the Gilroy festival!! :yes::joy:

Does it have the recipe for garlic ice cream? I've always been curious about that...sounds very wrong!

I got some "designer" chocolate ice cream topping today that is called Aztec Fudge. It has a "hint" of chiles in it. I'll report back later on if it's yummy or yucky.

you notice that i'm thoroughly non vegetarian. :manic:

you notice that i'm thoroughly non vegetarian. :manic:

:lol: we do :yes:

Does it have the recipe for garlic ice cream? I've always been curious about that...sounds very wrong!

:no: no, sadly it doesn't … maybe they thought the Germans were not yet ready for that :lol: