The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

The CookBook

This particular cake took under 4 hours all together, as that was the time limit. The judges liked the flavor but found the texture "odd", Said they missed that "toasty" texture of a cake. It sounds like a fun thing to try sometime though.

The list from the bakery had some wonderful sounding cakes: coconut cream, lemon, Chocolate FudgeBlackout, Orange Cloud, Chocolate Raspberry etc. I would have picked the Coconut myself. It is about 6 layers and has shaved coconut decorating it. Sob! I'll have to save up I guess. The only reason we are getting this Fancy Dan cake and not my usual "mom-made lopsided work of love" is because all the teacher's assistants at school got gift certificates to that bakery.

When the older boys were little they always wanted a "Poke-Cake". That was fun....involves cake & jello & pudding. Ben always just wants German Chocolate. Is that the same over there? Milk choc. cake with coconut/pecan caramel topping?

I think I have cake on the brain. All week people were throwing cake at me. Up at school almost every day had a birthday. Ben brought home some left over cake from a party at his school. One morning one of the teachers greeted me at the door of school with a plate of cake and a fork and said, " Want some freezer burned cake?" I replied, " no, thanks! I have some at home! It shall be The Summer of Cake! Huzzah!

Oh no...actually I remember when I was about 8 I made a steamed Caribbean banana cake - quite nice but rather an odd bready texture as I recall.

EIGHT? i'll be happy if i can pull off a quarter of what you do in the kitchen when i'm 58. :swoon:

It was a mandarin orange, almond & ginger flavored cake that was steamed, not baked. The recipe was based on an old Chinese recipe.

good golly divine, that sounds scrumptious! :oh: my aunt makes sponge cakes in the pressure cooker, which is basically intensive steaming. :lol: very soft and light, when made right. persoanlly, am entirely too scared to attempt cakes. my witches-brew-esque cooking is all i can manage. :lol:

Oh no...actually I remember when I was about 8 I made a steamed Caribbean banana cake - quite nice but rather an odd bready texture as I recall.

EIGHT? i'll be happy if i can pull off a quarter of what you do in the kitchen when i'm 58. :swoon:

precisely my reaction, only make that 68. :p

Chocolate FudgeBlackout

:roflmao:

Ben always just wants German Chocolate. Is that the same over there? Milk choc. cake with coconut/pecan caramel topping?

uhm … :neutral: never heard of it :lol: i think what would go for a "german" cake is bundt cake, or marble cake (do you say that? dark chocolate batter and light batter in swirls?)

Guest Sue

Oh marble cake was always one of my favourites - I had n't realised it was German. I am partial to Sachertorte, but I think that's Austrian...

There's a recipe I like for a poppy-seed cake over which you pour an orange syrup while the cake is still warm so it soaks into the cake...absolutely lovely!

:neutral: now i am hungry AGAIN. :roll::p

now that is a cake i really can do, marble cake :p

now that is a cake i really can do, marble cake :p

You certainly can :yes::swoon:

When I get a kitchen of my own, I shall make muffins and flapjacks and brownies :yes:

right - i forgot i fed it to you :p

a kitchen of your own will be nice, Boo :yes:

right - i forgot i fed it to you :p

I'd never seen a cake so big :wow:

I don't think we even managed half of it :no:

a kitchen of your own will be nice, Boo :yes:

:yes: I can cook proper meals as well :joy:

I'd never seen a cake so big :wow:

I don't think we even managed half of it :no:

:yes: I can cook proper meals as well :joy:

well, nothing of the cake ended in the bin, that much is sure :p

and proper meals are not bad :manic: particularly when i am planning to come and visit :p

of course not. Kexs was there :manic:

and proper meals are not bad :manic: particularly when i am planning to come and visit :p

Oooo, you can be my cookery guinea pig :yes::evil:

:roflmao: precisely. :p

Oooo, you can be my cookery guinea pig :yes::evil:
:shock: :gulp: do i want to? :huh:

:roflmao: precisely. :p

Little piggy :yes:

:shock: :gulp: do i want to? :huh:

:db: I'm hoping I'll have a bit of practice before you come over. Just don't expect anything lemony :no:

:db: I'm hoping I'll have a bit of practice before you come over. Just don't expect anything lemony :no:

no lemon meringue pie??? :shock::lemon::p

:bb:

You can have the pie crust and meringue :yes: