The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

The CookBook

:p spoilsport :p

:club:

My kitchen. My rules :db:

When I picked up Kate's cake I was amazed at it's weight. It was really heavy. When we cut into it we saw why. It was 7 layers with cream cheese frosting between each. I have to use a bucket to cover it as it's so tall. Frankly I was disappointed in the flavor. Too sweet. The damned thing is going to last forever!

eek! SEVEN layers? :shock: is this a wedding cake or a birthday cake? :bigcake::swoon:

Birthday....thin layers but still, 7 layers of cake mean 7 layers of frosting. :bigeyes:

Ben just tried a piece and is now having some spaghetti to "cleanse his palate". :lol:

It's a shame really, it was very pretty, even before I put the spongeBobs all over the top. Maybe we should have eaten them!

that's a pity about the too-sweet cake. :s particularly because other than too little of something (salt, for instance), too much can't be remedied.

I've heard that milk helps cut the sweetness. I could serve a pitcher of milk with each slice.

We are going to a birthday potluck for Ben's brother tomorrow and I'm taking a family favorite salad:

Broccoli & cauliflower Salad

Chop a bunch of both up into small pieces, but don't make a mulch.

Add cut up green onion, shredded or fine diced cheese ( any kind you like, we use Monterey Jack or cheddar or sometimes pepper Jack),& crumbled cooked bacon.

Dressing can be whatever you like but we usually use Ranch. ( either store bought or mix some mayo with cream, honey mustard & a little honey or maple syrup to taste).

It's tasty and people think they are being very virtuous by choosing it over the potato salad or macaroni salad.

:jump: yummy!!! :slobber: of course i am hungry again now. :neutral:

mmm! nice! will make that soon. :yes:

an experiment worked out quite well yesterday. here follows:

ingredients:

dried red chillies

minced pork/ chicken/ meat/ quorn

crumbled peanuts

okra, sliced down the middle

garlic, paste/ crushed

spring onions

in a little bit of oil, put in the dried red chillies. when they start releasing flavours (it needs just a couple of seconds), add the peanuts and the mince/ quorn. toss about for a couple of minutes. keep aside.

put in garlic and spring onions. i've made this with dried celery (we get fresh celery very rarely in this neck of the woods) instead of spring onions and it worked beautifully. mix them up and let them cook for a bit. once the garlic starts looking a little golden, throw in the okra. you could do this with asparagus as well. i think it would taste fabulous. mix the okra and garlic well, so that the garlic is evenly coating the okra. add the peanutty mince. let it simmer till done.

quite low on the oil content but tasty. and looks lovely with the red and green from the chillies and greens. :yes:

:slobber: :jump::musthave: it sounds wonderful … :swoon:

Speaking of gases, both noble and base, I'm trying to make a kinder, gentler curryish soup.

I'm browning pork pieces with garlic and some sauted tomatoes too i think, and putting it in a broth of coconut milk, pan drippings & creamed corn. I'll add a few potatos later for a bit of bulk.

It has occurred to me rather late in the game that all that garkic probably will make the whole thing pretty "noble" but at least it'll be better than with the peppers & onions I usually put in.

It's starting to smell pretty sexy. Better go check...

:oh: :slobber: !!!!!! i want some!!!!! :jump:

Guest Sue

mmmmm....sounds yummy Jude!

:oh: :slobber: !!!!!! i want some!!!!! :jump:

Me too. Even if it is only 9:35am here :lol:

Beats a bowl of cereal any day of the week :yes: