The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

Arts & Crafts

Boo, Sue is right - you should look for a book. i always had craft books, and they always made me try stuff :lol: sometimes with disastrous results, of course, but just trying was fun. copies are so much less appealing.

What about the bead bracelets and things you made?

I think I'm after something a bit more challenging :yes:, but something I can do at home.

How about trying some new beading techniques - maybe get a bead loom and make things that way? You can wave friendship bracelets, belts, even purses with the Native American style looms. It's more complicated that just stringing, but the results are really nice.

Here's an example of the kind of loom you can buy -

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/005/gr...n-Bead-Loom.htm

I'll hunt around for a craft shop in London.

london being such a small place, i suspect you won't find one. :huh:

:teaser:

but you mentioned workshops, and that is a good idea, too. :yes:

You may laugh, Moo, but I've never seen one :no: I think they're a dying breed :sigh:

but you mentioned workshops, and that is a good idea, too. :yes:

It might give me an idea of what I want to do.

Rain, is that the loom you bought from Hobbycraft?

You may laugh, Moo, but I've never seen one :no: I think they're a dying breed :sigh:

i can believe that. the way everyone gets glued to the computers (who am i to talk?! :roll: ), hobbies have ended up being stuff like C++ programming. :duck:

:oh: I just managed to catch up with this thread. Sigh. Beautiful pieces, all of them. :swoon:

… and somebody else is doing lace and has a blog for it, too :yes: :hint hint:

there's a blog? :shock::light:

oh sue! the paper dolls! i LOVE these. they're entirely amazing. i don't know how you manage them. :oh: LOVE the artist. :yes:

i love the artist, i love sue the artist too :hey:

and ya, there be a blog lace at this place about some of the lace i'm working on, mostly re-working other people's designs. the some day plan is to post stuff that is entirely my own.

it will be art-y :manic:

for full effect of the nerdiness factor, start right at the beginning of the blog. it won't take long to read. skim the jargon :oh:

back from the blog.

:wow: that is just so totally cool. i did, i must admit, skip the jargon. :blush2: however, i did not skip the pictures. i LOVE them. they're just so beautiful. like this one. now there's a still life piccie. :oh::swoon:

Guest Sue

wow Bess! Your lace is wonderful - I love the blog!!! (have added it to favourites to monitor progress!

Betty - I am really surprised to hear you have trouble finding a craft shop in London. Here in Bristol, quite apart from the huge great HobbieCraft store, small independent craft shops are springing up all over the place - there seems to be a huge and growing market. Lots of shops selling DIY stuff and the like are adding a craft section too. It's fantastic!

wow Bess! Your lace is wonderful - I love the blog!!! (have added it to favourites to monitor progress!

Betty - I am really surprised to hear you have trouble finding a craft shop in London. Here in Bristol, quite apart from the huge great HobbieCraft store, small independent craft shops are springing up all over the place - there seems to be a huge and growing market. Lots of shops selling DIY stuff and the like are adding a craft section too. It's fantastic!

You can barely move for craft supplies here now, can you? I think crafts are really growing in popularity and the high street is catching on - Accessorise and M&S now sell card making kits (very cute, if a little pricey); Next added some craft kits (baking and painting type things) to their Christmas range last year and Asda now sell blank cards. Robert Dyas also do a substantial range of scrapbooking and paper craft supplies.

The only craft shops I know in London are bead shops though, but I'm sure Yell will find you some Betty.

Guest Sue

How about this one Betty?

Ealing Arts & Crafts

26c, The Broadway, West Ealing, London, W13 0SU

Tel: 020 8567 6152 Classification: Art & Craft Shops

Ooooo, that must be new. I don't remember there being a craft shop in Ealing :huh:

I pass it on my way to Ealing from work. Will nip in after work :yes:

:p i love it how directions ae flying :lol:

it is a bit like that here, too … some of the older shops have closed down over the past few years, among them a really fantastic one (and i was standing in front of the place with my mouth hanging open, had gone there for some pre-christmas shopping, and it was now a hairdresser's :shock: ), but other ones are opening up.