The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

Arts & Crafts

Niiiice :oh: sweater project and prezzies :gift4: 

creative tinkering is the best  :yes:

6 hours ago, mad said:

A veritable hive of activity!! :bee:

almost finished a sweater for MadBro, had to get stripe-y creative when I ran out of wool!! So green with red-brown now, instead of green. It has cuffs that turn down to cover hands as far as middle knuckles, with holes to put thumbs through and a removable hood, which needs finessing!! 

Got lots of drawing stuff for Xmas :manic: 

that sounds like a very clever sweater! :up:

... and like nice Christmas presents :oh: :up: 

Yes, on all counts :up: 

Months to make the fiddly-looking woven picture ... an hour to find Honorable Background...a few minutes to fiddle it into a frame. I liked doing that best :lol:

image.jpg

I made the picture from its diagram, a personal challenge in memory of the Japanese friend who had wanted to make it. But she passed too soon.

:sad: 

Still, I felt joy in the doing, I think she would have been pleased :joy:

that is such a lovely idea, to make it in her memory. :heart: 

A samurai and his lady, right? Or the tenno and his lady?

Yes, framing finished work is always so satisfying :up: :manic:  

oh, I have a funny story about one of my craft thingies. :lol: 

A few years ago I made a family Christmas present out of an embroidered saying, something my grandma used to say. "Buten Huus dickt nich", it's in low German and means, "What you eat away from home, isn't fattening". :lol: :bigcake: 

I made the design and stitched it with a hot needle as it was rather late (as usual), took a photo, had it printed in about half the size of the original and then framed one for everybody. I put a sticker on the back saying it was a digital print of an original embroidery on linen (like you would do for an exhibition :wink: ). It was all very tongue in cheek. the frame was a cute Ikea one, in gold :lol: 

A few weeks ago I went to visit one of my brothers and we were talking about making things, and my sil says she always admired how I had done that embroidery in these really tiny stitches.

:neutral: 

I was, "Well, they were actually rather normal size". She goes to get the frame and I realize they never noticed it was a photo :roflmao: They still didn't want to believe it ... It was so funny.

This is the original, hanging in my kitchen. I made it into postcards, too. (I guess I posted it here somewhere when it was new, but I am too lazy to look for it :p )

IMG_9223.thumb.jpg.6d314817fa153929d9afaab5bd14228c.jpg

:oh:

Two kinds of lovely - the gorgeous tribute to the friend, and the family project the family didn't quite get  :roflmao:

Ladies, this was a fine way to start the day :joy: 

8 hours ago, Mackie said:

that is such a lovely idea, to make it in her memory. :heart: 

A samurai and his lady, right? Or the tenno and his lady?

Yes, framing finished work is always so satisfying :up: :manic:  

something like that :yes:  they are puppets for Girls' Day in March, the Hina Matsuri Festival. She is the Empress, he is the Emperor :yes: 

already artistic in real,  iterated *a lot* to achieve this weaving. a Japanese lady went to Bruges to learn Flemish lace  :roll:  and I worked her pattern :p

Mackie, too clever by half :roflmao: in a good way :heart: 

A cute story and saying!  As well as being a cool craft-y prezzie all 'round. If you posted about it I have forgotten :old: so enjoying it again for the first time  :angel: 

On 5/6/2019 at 7:02 PM, bess said:

already artistic in real,  iterated *a lot* to achieve this weaving. a Japanese lady went to Bruges to learn Flemish lace  :roll:  and I worked her pattern :p

that is just wonderful :manic: 

:yes:  :heart:

6 hours ago, Mackie said:

that is just wonderful :manic: 

Yes, it is :heart: