The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

Arts & Crafts

Oh! The red shawl is gorgeous! Love the fade! Perfect, Mackie!

Bev, the hats are perfect! I want the one at the top right! The colors sing.

Thanks Judith !

It was a fun knitting binge :silly2:

:green: about the beautiful shawl :swoon:

Thank you Jude ❤️ Actually you’re to blame for my crocheting craze - at one point I was looking for something to do with my hands and remembered how you told us about having picked up crochet. I hadn’t done that since my school years, but I looked around for patterns and found that a huge crop of really good stuff had come up the past decades ... :lol: 

Funny how that works isn't it?

My hands are more gentile to crochet. Kate has as meany crochet people as yarn ones. :sheep2:  

When I came back to crochet, I still used the really old hooks I had when I was - well, young :lol: and even though everybody told me they are not good for my hands, I like them best. I have bought a few new ones, but I took a brand where they have the same form as my old ones, only what used to be a  the plastic handle is now olive wood. :oh: what kind of hook are you using, Jude?

I first had ones with all metal but Kate gave me some with metal tops and the bottoms are hardish plastic   . I really like this kind, I think they are pretty common here.  I started crochet about 4 or 5 years and most of my work is afghans, a lot of afghans, lol.   :sheep2::knit2:

I am making an afghan now, too. I had planned to knit it, but turns out the yarn looks boring when knitted, so I tried a crochet patter. Looks better, only the colours are hardcore colourful :lol: a very Mexican look, I think. A typical case of a gradient yearn looking better in a ball than in the finished project … :crit: I've had that rather frequently, lately. :crit: :wail: 

First attempt: knitted :knit: (to have something to do while watching movies … I cannot crochet blindly)

943861104_IMG_29532.thumb.jpg.32d385d361890a79b4dfa5050b2a4e7b.jpg

IMG_2546.thumb.jpg.ca7e00ef46218688b8d882249a22cf52.jpg

second attempt: crochet, to keep the colours more concentrated. The very beginning looked nice, but when you look at the bigger it really is a LOT of colour (again!! :roflmao: ). Too much, actually, but it is as it is and I am going to finish it now and then see if I can find someone to adopt it … 

1377310208_IMG_29522.thumb.jpg.9ccbdc1cb5e70aef0eeeaca4244bfdbd.jpg

IMG_2954 2.jpg

(you have to admit that the yarn is looking great, though. :roflmao: :duh: )

There's that :lol:  :wow:

Both examples are loud, yes the crochet has the edge :up:

I made an afghan from a kit last year the best part being acquiring new crochet hooks with ergonomic handles :oh: But the pattern could not be changed else I'd have to buy more yarns. They were a cotton blend and would split :grumpy: and while crochet stitches themselves are easy the overall construction was fiddly. I finished it, rolled it up and packed it in the kit box out of sight. :nosee:

:sigh:

Dear, oh dear, NO such thing as too much color.  Not when it is so cold and grey outside.  Just use them in fall and winter :oh: 

:lol: we‘ll see how it all ends. :p 

bess, i had a yarn in summer , the one that came in the nice transparent bag - the pattern is lovely but I really hate the yarn. Cotton with linen - the linen part makes the yarn so rough that every stitch is a battle. I gave up after ten days. :wail: stupid stuff was expensive, too :crit:

disappointing :sigh:  no use fighting the materials, the project gets bad vibes worked in :yes2: