The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

Arts & Crafts

:voodoo: n'est pas?

:shock: jinxed :yes2:

23 hours ago, bess said:

disappointing :sigh:  no use fighting the materials, the project gets bad vibes worked in :yes2:  

Absolutely :yes2: 

4 hours ago, Goli said:

:voodoo: n'est pas?

:yes2: :duck: :runaway: 

:lol: 

:manic: 

weren't we talking somewhere about knitting smaller things in the round on big circular needles? :where: Too lazy to look for it.

I started that the other day and find it very easy and clever. I needed a knitting project to do while watching movies :p :knit: and my pulse warmers (? you know the sock like thingies to wear on your arms) are getting shabby because I used cheap yarn on them. I got serious :p sock yarn now and am working on it. :manic: 

Learned a new way to cast on, too, with an auxiliary thread. It's pulled out after a while. I never heard of it before, but for those small and fiddly things it's excellent :yes: 

We were :yes:  and :up: to learning new things :manic:  

Yes, wrist warmers, pulse warmers, fingerless mitts :smart: 

The cast on with temporary thread usually is called provisional cast on. Handy little technique! Lots of pleasant knitting there, if using sock yarn :oh: 

I am knitting a clock-face right now. True! Started on a very long circular needle to get the first 12 stitches in a circle, and a few more rows plus increases outwards, 12-rayed, as for a tick-tock clock :yes2:  (also in sock yarn :lol:  )

I keep messing up following the graph for the stitches. The mind of moi wanders...

:wow: that is a cool project! I can imagine it's not the easiest pattern to follow :duck: 

With my other pair of hands ( :p ) I am stitching a Christmas present for the family, like an embroidered saying. If and when I get it done there will be pictures. A bit like the one I made for you years ago, bess :lol: I could have done this in summer, of course :roll: but somehow Christmas projects always have to come with a tad of stress … :panic22:  

(And I should have known the cast on technique was old news for you :lol: :smooch: )

:wink: 

stitching is not at all my forté :nosee:  but how I value something like that, especially made for me. I only just now had my hand on the picture Mackie, :yes:   moving stuff to make room for stuff (eek :duck: )

:lol: again at the saying, in English -  Now at It with A Thousand Men :gogetem:   

in our conversation at the time :roflmao: 

In German is it Jetzt mit tausend Männern dabei" maybe :huh: ?

(you had told me.  :forgot:  )

anyway, a nice gift for family :up:  in the moment :joy: 

ALL of the technical stuff is way beyond me, but the results are always :swoon: i think of you ladies every time i visit Port Gamble and their yarn/wool shops :oh:  The last time i went in, a lady of indeterminant years was actually weaving something on one of the looms :shock:

:wow:and :cool: :yes: goli

Here is my attempt at the clock face, per instructions stretched around a vinyl LP of which I still have a stack but no player. Since years, right? Grabbed one falling out of its sleeve. Then struggled with the wooden clips and the gathering thread :roll:

A526CAB7-8EFE-4B95-9787-BC043C327AE2.jpeg

5D96D274-0791-4A12-A707-4AEFFFD667B0.jpeg

:wow: I wouldn't precisely call that an attempt, miss. :no: I would go crosseyed over a pattern like that. :swoon: 

And the LP is from Deutsche Grammophon, no less :roflmao: die Wassermusik by Händel!

The saying (by my dad) was, Jetzt aber ran mit 1000 Mann :wink: He always said that when he was tackling something left way too long already. :p (I was particularly proud of the tiny men I invented for this  :stagger::p )

and I am particularly iimpressed by them :yes2:  :wow:  :stagger:  :up:  :manic:  

would it be ok to post a picture of them...

....back in the day when we could buy LPs pressed for export, from the university bookstore. notes are in German/French/English.  i liked to study :book:  to Herr Händel  :omm: 

next i need to find a battery clockwork to fix in the middle on the label part of the LP. and hands for the front.

the clock doesn't take much yarn, 100 + metres, two or three colours of sock yarn. good to use up bits. this is a practice, to make a few more for gifts. I can do this type of knitting easily :yes: other styles, not so much. :no3: 

I would first go crosseyed and then go mad :lol: :runaway: But it's always good to find a nice use for smaller bits of yarn, isn't it. :yes: 

(I often-ish buy patterns from a place called crazypatterns. Iam getting a newsletter from them and often think I should cancel it because they have so many really horrible things :lol: but then I realise I kinda like looking at them and shudder :roflmao: 

You can post whatever and wherever you want, they are your tiny men :p :yes: :stagger: