The Hidden Fortress
jana

Watching TV

Marvellous idea :flower:

So, the new Dr Who. Wasn't too sure about the baddie and her henchmen who reminded me of The Stig from Top Gear. But I really, really like Martha - I think she'll be a fab assistant. She has a brain, which does make a change. Plus I don't think she'll do the whole jealous routine everytime another female looks at the Doc like Rose did (got rather tiresome, that did).

I liked the way she said she had a cousin who worked in Canary Wharf, which ties in nicely with her demise last series :yes:

:yes: I liked that they threw that line in about the cousin to shut-up the canon-obsessed who-geeks.

I loved Martha - she worked really well with David Tennant, and the character is a good change of pace from Rose. Rose left with the Doctor because she was bored and directionless in her job and her life, whereas Martha seems to have so much going on with work and her irritating family. The Tardis will actually be a bit of a breather for her! I also liked that the Dr is still clearly cut up about losing Rose - that "just one trip to say thanks" thing was so obviously his way of saying that Rose couldn't be replaced for him.

And did anyone watch this programme with Louis Theroux last night? :shock::neutral:

I didn't see it. I know of the the Westboro "church" though - someone posted about the Patriot Guard Riders on FOP once, remember? They're the bikers who form an honour guard protecting grieving families from the Westboro pickets. That Fred Phelps is totally repellant - a walking, talking crime of hate. Why the rest of his family (who seem so sweet, outwardly) follow him baffles me.

Are they not showing Dr Who in Germany yet? Or are you not bothering to watch?

i haven't seen it anywhere, but when i am honest, i am not too keen on watching, either. i'm just not good with watching series, though i have been known to watch them on dvd occasionally. :lol:

And did anyone watch this programme with Louis Theroux last night? :shock::neutral:

I didn't see it. I know of the the Westboro "church" though - someone posted about the Patriot Guard Riders on FOP once, remember? They're the bikers who form an honour guard protecting grieving families from the Westboro pickets. That Fred Phelps is totally repellant - a walking, talking crime of hate. Why the rest of his family (who seem so sweet, outwardly) follow him baffles me.

:shock: i do not remember having heard about them; very scary. and like Theroux said in the interview - very baffling, too.

:yes: I liked that they threw that line in about the cousin to shut-up the canon-obsessed who-geeks.

:hey:

I loved Martha - she worked really well with David Tennant, and the character is a good change of pace from Rose. Rose left with the Doctor because she was bored and directionless in her job and her life, whereas Martha seems to have so much going on with work and her irritating family. The Tardis will actually be a bit of a breather for her! I also liked that the Dr is still clearly cut up about losing Rose - that "just one trip to say thanks" thing was so obviously his way of saying that Rose couldn't be replaced for him.

Its weird how they're doing the 'can't get over Rose' thing. I have to admit, I don't like it :no: They've not done it before, as far as I can remember. Can't help wondering if it's for the benefit of the newer fans who automatically presume that because a male & female travel together, it must mean there's more to it. :bb:

Did you think they were trying to make the blond stepmum the new Jackie?

A very scary bunch of people :yes: Even the little seven year olds were out on the protests. His daughter is a vile woman. How they can sleep at night after protesting at a soldiers' funeral, I'll never know. Its quite worrying how the kids are so taken in by it. One said that her father would be happy if she went to hell because she was run over :neutral: And she wasn't upset by that at all.

Boo - have you seen this?

and for a great review try here and click 'fear factor'.

i can see the Stig as an alien SLAB.... wonder if anyone's suggested it to Clarkson...? Hmm....

Boo - have you seen this?

:lol::lol: That's genius.

He must have a stash of them somewhere. Considering how big the TARDIS is, he's probably got millions locked away. But how does it work? It only has one button, but can do anything :huh:

and for a great review try here and click 'fear factor'.

The kids have the right idea when they mention that everything happens close to a national landmark :roll:

i can see the Stig as an alien SLAB.... wonder if anyone's suggested it to Clarkson...? Hmm....

It would explain things, wouldn't it? No-one knows who The Stig is, do they? :no: Shame Top Gear isn't on at the mo, Clarkson would have a field day.

Wonder if Martha will ever find out what The Doc did to her cousin with the Blinky Device :huh:

And I wonder if Mr Saxon is this seasons ongoing theme like Bad Wolf in the first and Torchwood last season :huh:

Its weird how they're doing the 'can't get over Rose' thing. I have to admit, I don't like it :no: They've not done it before, as far as I can remember. Can't help wondering if it's for the benefit of the newer fans who automatically presume that because a male & female travel together, it must mean there's more to it. :bb:

It's a very deliberate thing. When Russell T Davies pitched a "new" Doctor Who to the BBC, he sold it as a British Buffy (Davies is a huge Joss Whedon fan, even attending Buffy conventions as a paying punter). One of the big themes in Buffy was the star-crossed relationship of a mortal human girl, Buffy, and her immortal lover, Angel. So it seemed inevitable that in order to appeal to Buffy fans, the new Doctor Who would have to maximize that angle. The Doctor Who episode School Reunion (ironically not written by Davies) had a serious Buffy vibe, both in language (that line "imagine something really bad and add another suitcase of bad" could have been straight out of Buffy) and in angsty romance. Obviously, the presence of Anthony Stewart Head helped, as did the fact that it was set in a school, but the scene where Rose confronts the Doctor about leaving his series of companions is so Joss Whedon -

"...this is really seeing the future. You just leave us behind. Is that what you're going to do to me?"

"I don't die - I regenerate. But humans decay. You wither and you die. Imagine watching that happen to someone who you..." "You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of mine with you."

(:lol: cresspesting with Rain) i think that kinda sums up the problem with regeneration...or immortality - think elves, or (heaven forfend) Highlander

i think Mr Saxon is just that - think i saw it in SFX mag or something like that.... i think the Doc had better keep quiet about Adeola and the Blinky Device....

did you see the 'best bits of Top Gear' the other night - they were trialling cars on the Isle of Man TT course and shipped the Stig in as luggage/cargo on the plane.... :lol:

i think Mr Saxon is just that - think i saw it in SFX mag or something like that.... i think the Doc had better keep quiet about Adeola and the Blinky Device....

A-ha! Mr Saxon will appear in the last 2 episodes of this series and will be referenced throughout, just like Torchwood, etc. :yes: He'll be played by John Simm :oh:

Rumours are whizzing around saying he's actually The Master :wow: which is a bit odd as he died in the TV movie with Paul McGann :huh:. Unless do the old time travelling malarky, he's as dead as a dodo :yes:

(why don't the emoticons disappear too? :huh:)

did you see the 'best bits of Top Gear' the other night - they were trialling cars on the Isle of Man TT course and shipped the Stig in as luggage/cargo on the plane.... :lol:

I missed it! :wail: Maybe BBC3 will repeat it :crossed:

(i like it that the emos sit on the black bar :manic: sorry, don't let me interrupt you :smooch: )

:mood::mood::mood:

Apparently, if the FA Cup semi-final between Man Utd and Watford goes into extra time, this weeks' Dr Who will be CANCELLED :shock:

What's wrong with putting it on BBC2 for one week? And it would be the one where The Face of Boe delivers his 'great secret' to The Doc :wail:

Here's hoping for a 6-0 win by Watford.

Bastard BBC :db::db:

:lol: oh dear :roll: but wouldn't they just postpone it, and you'd get to see it next week?

that's their proposal. A Whole Damn Week Late!!!

They can't run it later the same night because it interferes with (oh be still my beating heart) the LIVE 'any dream will do' :bb:

C'mon Watford!!!! How can we miss Ardal O'Hanlon as a catperson!!??

simple things matter! :p