The Hidden Fortress
mad

NatureNerd's corner

it is also very typical of her. it never struck her that maybe the plants knew better than she did which way to grow :p

:roll:

re FRUIT....

a fruit is the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant - can be nut, berry, grain, whatever. They are the means by which flowering plants disseminate seeds.

No single terminology really fits the enormous variety that is found among plant fruits, from achenes to schizocarps to utricles, not mentioning dupes and pomes... Wikipedia (see here) has more than you ever want to know!!!

bumped for weirdness of the board.....

re FRUIT....

a fruit is the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant - can be nut, berry, grain, whatever. They are the means by which flowering plants disseminate seeds.

:manic: excellent. i think i can forego the abundance of Wiki :p

:smooch: thank you!

Jude said:

Isn't there a song with those words, "blackbird singing in the dead of night"?

Nerd says: yes - Paul McCartney methinks - (could be late Beatles) -

'Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly

all your life you were only waiting for this moment to arrive'

....but orph course, the 'nightingale' in Berkley Square was most likely a blackbird!

I thought it was starlings that imitated other birds, like hyena
i never knew hyena was a bird :shock:

:duck:

yes, they do - and other things, including trim-phones, car alarms, and the 'riff' from Close Encounters of the Third Kind..... however, blackbirds (and thrushes) do take phrases they like from anywhere else and include them in their songs. My blackbird has a distinct starling-like 'chuckle'. Song Thrushes tend to repeat a phrase they like up to three times, which is one way to identify them from song.

I thought it was starlings that imitated other birds, like hyena
i never knew hyena was a bird :shock:

:duck:

:lol:

Song Thrushes tend to repeat a phrase they like up to three times, which is one way to identify them from song.

:yes: i had one for several years who had a really weird last line to his song, and i haven't heard him this year, so i guess he has flown across the bridge ... he was very easily to identify, too, since he had white feathers in his wings. very elegant :lol:

oh i remember him! :heart: Mr Pinstripe! very beautiful.

Oh! Beautiful bird, Mackie. :heart:

Well, if we can have a :fpig: then a hyena might fly! :teaser:

Thank you for the info, Mad. I suspected some of it...we have run into the house from outside more than once thinking the phone was ringing only to realize it was a bird. The little devils! I'm sure they do it on purpose.

I can hear that song line in my head now. :keys:

...we have run into the house from outside more than once thinking the phone was ringing only to realize it was a bird. The little devils! I'm sure they do it on purpose.

they are probably betting on who will fall for it first :p

Blackbird (the song) is from the Beatles' White Album.

Yours

MusicNerd :manic: