The Hidden Fortress
mad

NatureNerd's corner

thre is an active webcam in a kestrel nest here ... i haven't been checking it for a while, and now the elittle yellow thingies are there! five of them, all very hungry it seems :lol:

Guest Girl from Mars

Eeep eeeep eeeep! Poor parents must be soooo busy :lol: Cute link, danke Mackie!

Oh, they're so cute and fluffy :oh:

Guest Girl from Mars

One of them seems to have a really heavy head. Or he is about to die. Or maybe just not hungry anymore.

... or just sleepy. it is a pity there is no sound :lol:

I did see him get up, but he's sat back down again. Hope he's okay.

Now another one's just fallen flat on his face :lol::heart:

Guest Girl from Mars

Feeding frenzy coming to an end. and everybody still breathing :yes:

they just cut my connection :p

but the little ones are really very "new", so i guess they just do not yet have a lot of coordination. last one was out of the egg on thursday, first one four days before.

so the oldest ones will be bigger, and will take preference when it comes to feeding. don't want to rock the boat, folks, but keep fingers crossed for a good prey year, and the parents keeping healthy..... the older chicks will eat the younger if the food supply fails cruel but good survival strategy. :neutral:

they say on the site that it was six chicks first, and the youngest one died this morning. they also said, though, that the five remaining ones seem healthy and in good spirit. and that the parents are very busy and resourceful in finding food.

.... the older chicks will eat the younger if the food supply fails cruel but good survival strategy. :neutral:

yes, it is. nature has a good idea why things have to be that way.

(right now they are one pile of little fluffy sleeping things :p )

Guest Girl from Mars
so the oldest ones will be bigger, and will take preference when it comes to feeding. don't want to rock the boat, folks, but keep fingers crossed for a good prey year, and the parents keeping healthy..... the older chicks will eat the younger if the food supply fails cruel but good survival strategy. :neutral:

True, I've seen that in a nature documentary sometime. Tough life out there for birds of prey, too. There would be a lot more of these birds if all of the chicks survived. Once I saw (on the tube) an eagle chick pushing his sibling out of the nest. The unfortunately chick plummeted to his death then. Hmm, I am all doom and gloom today.

The text on the website says that kestrels are a bit more social/caring (sp?) than other bops and even the youngest in the group can survive.

they have grown a lot, but still are looking so very vulnerable ...

the church steeple where the nest and the camera are, got hit by lightning :neutral: the camera is dead (and has been taken off for repair), but the birds are okay.

Guest Girl from Mars

Yikes! They must have had quite a wake-up call :lol: