The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

A&C chatter thread

into the threads themselves, don't you think? :lol: i meant to extract the A&C comments from the thread in Picture Window, but it has 143 pages.

:shock::swoon:

i guess we can do without that :p

a conversation from I See You - we might want to find that in a few week's time … :p

i fancy some of that multi-coloured wool to knit some more mitt-things... sewing in all the ends was one of the worst bits... mind you, then i need the end-less needles, and by the time i get it all, the faint urge (for it is only a faint urge) will have gone...if i can get a small enough circular needle it would make things soooooo easy. but i think they're a minimum length.... i may need to hot wash the woolly stripy pair to make them more felt-ish, and shrink them a bit, as they have become more baggy with wearing.

oh the tribulation.

another reason i don't do domestic.

i have been looking on the web for short circular needles, but they all seem to be at least 40 cm … but i found this. it is in german, of course … :neutral: but there are pictures …

i fancy some of that multi-coloured wool to knit some more mitt-things... sewing in all the ends was one of the worst bits... mind you, then i need the end-less needles, and by the time i get it all, the faint urge (for it is only a faint urge) will have gone...if i can get a small enough circular needle it would make things soooooo easy. but i think they're a minimum length.... i may need to hot wash the woolly stripy pair to make them more felt-ish, and shrink them a bit, as they have become more baggy with wearing.

oh the tribulation.

another reason i don't do domestic.

I read that as "tubulation" at first and it made perfect sense. :roflmao:

Mackie, those needles look scarey! :shock: I just crochet a rectangle and sew it up the side leaving space for the thumb hole. ( Lazy Gal's Wristies :chacha: )

My Gran tried to teach me to knit once and we didn't speak for days after. :silly2:

:wow: i think i can vaguely see how that might work.......... need to free up a circular needle or get a new one (easier, would have to find somewhere to put my 2/3 completed fair isle sweater!) and try it out. Thanks Moo! :smooch:

... the one in german confuzzled the heck outta me. love the title though - Sockentraum. i know what it really means, but to me 'sock trauma' is about right!

...and the point of knitting round is to avoid the seam up the side, which is always in an inconvenient place! (i have a cheapo pair that prove the rule - the seam is either under the bone of my wrist or the heel of my hand when working the 'puter mouse) ...it also means the thumb hole is horizontal rather than vertical.......

communal knitting project???? :teaser:

not really - but when i want to find that link again i am not going to brave the ICU thread :nosee::p

:lol:

This is in response to a post of Mad's in ISEEYOU. I started to post there and then thought I'd better put it here.

I think mine will work ok seam wise....the thumb hole is in the seam line so my thumb holds the seam right in line down my arm from my wrist. The 1 "perfect" one is not tight but not baggy either, like a well fitting sock so it doesn't shift around. I just hope I can duplicate it.

When I start a crocheted item, for some reason the end I start at is always a little bigger than the ending end so if I crochet the wristie from arm end to hand end it fits around my knuckles better.

Ooo, I'd better move this to the A&C thread.

And I did. Everyone confused yet? :roflmao:

no, you did well :high5::lol::smooch:

the good thing about knitting the writisties in one colour, or in a yarn that does the colour changes by itself, is that you do not have a seam. mad, perhaps you should use one of those caolour changing yarns if you want to try again - it definitely takes some pain out of the experience :yes:

:hey: my line is too slow to load the links to the needles but if you want a small circlet with no seam, do double knitting :yes:

you just need 2 straight needles, knit rows back and forth but skip alternate stitches each flat round. there must be a diagram or a demo on the web somewhere.

i'll be back, i love :knit::oh:

back to add:

on two straight needles, knit odd numbered stitches, swing the knitting around so that the other side now faces you, knit even numbered stitches, skipping those previous knit, rotate the work again and repeat.

if you goof up, the sides stick, connected by a shared stitch.

you can make a tube on 3 straight needles too. the two needles have the stitches, half on each, and are side to side, knit along one needle, turn to knit along the other. it is a bit snug at the turns at first, then it goes along ok.

This is called the "Chatter" thread so do we post pix here too?

I guess I will and it can be moved if it should go in the regular A&C thread.

This is one of my wristies..the "perfect" one. :roflmao:

DSCN1048.jpg

It is. It cost the earth, especially the multi one, but soooo worth it. It has a lovely feel to it too.

that looks nice :oh: AND warm :yes:

it is a chilly evening. i finished the book i was reading (a TP should anyone ask :roll: ) and i'm on the home stretch of a sweater, i like working them from the top down. that way the end knitting is just plain to the finish. the yarn is wool, and the project is now like a small blanket, keeping me warm while i'm knitting :lol:

What color is the sweater? Can we see a pic when you're done?

I like making afghans in cold weather....cozy.

I just finished Ben a pair of wristies. Ugh! I used a heavier yarn and it was awkward and the yarn kept fraying and it was hard for me to gauge how big they should be. They turned out too tight on the arm part & to big on the knuckles. I am dispirited and think I'll go back to afghans....it's all the easy pleasant part...except that first chain & row. :silly2:

the project is now like a small blanket, keeping me warm while i'm knitting :lol:

yes, i love that, too :yes: my blanket thingy so far only is like a ruched collar, so no huddling under it :p

we want a pic of the finished sweater, bess :oh:

Jude, how frustrating :s the good thing about afghans and such really is that you do not have to worry about fitting :p

ya, an afghan always fits something :lol:

orph course i'll send a picture :photo: and the colour... hmm, not unlike the purple of your avatar jude :p but has red bits in it here and there - at first i thought it might be like the red-hat-lady thing :duck: which is so not me :no: but the purple is more blue :sweat: (whew)

now i want to try my own advice on the double knitting :lol: i used to do this to make teddy bears of my handspun wool, i could make a teddy bear in two hours, from the legs up, and stuffing between the double knit layers as each part was completed. i was so utterly clever then :smart::neutral::crit:

and so i'll try a cuff for each wrist, one in the 2-needle and one in the 3-needle. and :photo: document it maybe :huh2: if i do it.