The Hidden Fortress
Mackie

A&C chatter thread

bit of Crimean War to be found there - Raglan sleeves on a Cardigan!!!

for mackie, here are two baby-shoe patterns, and an example i made for each. :knit: in the one the yarn was too thick, in the other too thin :roll: but i hope you get the idea.

the first one is an old pattern, the second i filched from a magazine. the colours in the second one are from the yarn, it is a scrap of that pre-striped sock yarn.

sockie1.jpg

Sock-shoe

Tension, 5.5 stitches x 7.5 rows = one inch in stockinette st (St St) (which is knit one row, purl one row).

Cast on 23 stitches

Knit 6 rows in garter stitch (plain knit every row).

Purl 1 row.

Knit 1 row.

Purl 1 row.

Knit 7 rows in garter stitch.

Purl 1 row.

Knit 1 row.

Purl 1 row.

Eyelet row: Knit one, (yarn forward, knit 2 together) 5 times. Knit 2. (yarn forward, knit 2 together) 5 times. Knit one. Purl 1 row.

To make foot: Knit 16. Turn. Purl 9. Turn.

Working on centre 8 stitches, work 11 rows even in St St, ending with a knit row.

Next row: Pick up and knit 6 stitches along side of toe flap. Knit remaining 7 stitches.

Next row: Knit 22. Pick up and knit 6 stithces along other side of toe flap. Knit remaining 7 stitches (35 stitches on needle).

[i made an error and was one stitch out, not sure if there is a typo in the preceding, or that I couldn't count...]

Knit 10 rows in garter stitch.

Next row: (Knit 1, Knit 2 together, Knit 12, Knit 2 tog.) twice. Knit 1.

Knit one row.

Next row: ()knit 1, knit 2 together, Knit 10, Knit 2 together) twice. Knit 1.

Cast off.

Sew up back seam, thread ribbon through eyelets.

sockie2.jpg

Shoe-shoe

Another one with finer yarn, tension is 7.5 stitches x 15 rows.

The cast on edge, sewn in half to itself, becomes the seam of the bottom of the shoe.

Cast on 39 stitches.

Row 1, right side: Knit 1, yarn over needle (yo), knit 18, yo, knit 1, yo, knit 18, yo, knit 1 - 43 stitches.

Rows 2, 4, 6, 8 - Purl.

Row 3, Knit 1, yo, knit 20, yo, knit 1, yo, knit 20, yo, knit 1 - 47 stitches.

Row 5, Knit 1, yo, knit 22, yo, knit 1, yo, knit 22, yo, knit 1 - 51 stitches.

Row 7, Knit 1, yo, knit 24, yo, knit 1, yo, knit 24, yo, knit 1 - 55 stitches.

row 9, *Knit 1, purl 1, repeat from * toi last stitch, knit 1.

Row 10, Purl.

For Rows 11 - 16, repeat Rows 9 and 10 three more times.

Work short rows to shape top of instep as follows:

Row 17, *(Knit 1, purl 1) 11 times, knit 10, knit 2 together, turn.

Row 18, Slip one stitch as if to purl, purl 9, purl 2 together, turn.

Row 19, Slip one stitch as if to purl, knit 9, knit 2 together as in Row 17, turn.

Rows 20 - 28, Repeat Rows 18 and 19 four more times, then work Row 18 once more.

Row 29 (right side), slip one as it fo purl, knit 10 (purl 1, knit 1) 8 times - 43 stitches.

Row 30, Purl.

Rows 31 - 47, work in garter stitch for 17 rows, beginning and ending with a right side row.

Row 48 (wrong side), *knit one, purl one; repeat from * to last stitch, knit one.

Row 49 (right side), purl.

Rows 50 - 57: Repeat Rows 48 and 49 four more times. The Right side of hte garter rib pattern corresponds to the wrong side of the bootie for this section so the right side of the pattern will show on the outside when the cuff is folded down.

Bind off all stitches in pattern.

To finish: Sew seam down back of leg and along centre of sole to toe. Fold cuff to outside. Weave in ends. Make second bootie!

:oh: thank you! :smooch::flower:

they are both of them very cute, too :oh: the niece posted her version, now i have to decide which one to use … :crit:

Oh, sweet!

Some of the yarn I got for scarves turned out to be "sock yarn"....very thin. I'd never worked with that before but after the first fiddley bit it wasn't bad. It made a lovely light feeling scarf.

nice :yes:

i like how the colours happened in the second pattern, but i wouldn't make baby garments for real, from that sock yarn. it was horribly harsh. :neutral:

however if i would make the mate for that one, the shoes could go on someone's :bear: teddybear :idea:

for me that is v. tiny :knit::shock:

teddy shoes! :heart: what a lovely idea!

i've never heard of sock yarn! (..but then again, hardly surprising! :lol: )

aww mad :heart::p

i have just enough of the rabble of leftover yarn to do the other teddy-shoe, will work on it while watching what i can of the Oscars :knit::slam::gaah::silly2:

fun, huh?!!

Happy knitting, Bess. :chacha:

The stuff I was talking about, the sock yarn, was very soft and cushy feeling. Maybe I got the name wrong.

:joy: i just crocheted a hat!!!!! not finished off yet (need to find a darning needle to tidy the ends, and add a tassle on the top...) but - no pattern, just thought - do this, do that and !! success!! feel reet chuffed wi' me sen'!

that said, it'll probably look a right brute when worn. it's sort of cylindrical, with a flattish top, in a multicoloured chunky wool so it looks kind of camouflaged! it has mitten-things to match, which also need a tidy up.

i will take pics when it's done.

now all i have is some fluffy green wool form Mum's stockpile, which is fairly thin.

and no clue what to do with it.

i need more wool!!!!

:roflmao:

says the least domesticated person on the planet.....

now all i have is thin green fluffy stuff from Mum's stockpile. nice, but i can't wear fluffy wool, it itches too much.

must be good for something.

i need wool!

says the planet's least domesticated creature....

i'll get Mum to model it all when she comes up next (end of Feb)