The Hidden Fortress

Twilight Talk

Rain

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about to go to bed soon, still palying sleep catch up , but while reading the final book I remembered Rain's saying Breaking Dawn was, among other things, "mental". :roflmao: That's an understatement but I really enjoyed it.

I won't say more now until we set up a spoiler barrier for Betty at least. How much do you have to go, Boo?

I will say this: I :heart: Werewolves. :chacha:

I’m going to start with Breaking Dawn, as it seems to be the book that has divided fans, and as it’s the one we’ve all just finished. This is going to be a mess of thoughts so bear with me.

First off, isn’t it weird that Stephanie Meyer has upset so many fans purely by giving them exactly what they said they wanted - no deaths and a happily ever after for Bella and Edward and Jacob.

My relationship the first three books pretty much progressed the way that Bella and Edward’s relationship did - Twilight took my breath away with that heady description of first love, and that love developed through the next two books, just as Bella’s love for Edward did. Breaking Dawn feels more like being settled down - you are well aware of the objection of your affection’s faults, but you love them anyway.

Breaking Dawn isn’t a perfect book - for me it suffers from Stephanie loving Bella too much and wanting to give her and her fans everything. It does have a fan-fiction feel to it - too much wish fulfilment, very little real cost to Bella for all that she gets in return. And yet, I can’t think of a character I would want to have sacrificed just to up the stakes - JK Rowling was guilty of that in Deathly Hallows, and I don’t really think anyone believes that’s a better book for Lupin, Tonks and Fred being killed off. And don’t get me started on Hedwig!

So the Mary Sue tone I didn’t like, and I felt that the real draw of the first three books - the central love story between Bella and Edward was sidelined in favour of Renesmee, though I guess a lot of husband’s experience that in real life too. There is a lot I liked about the book though - the complete change of tone was really unexpected and it was fun to be surprised. It’s actually a full-on vampire novel, with a really romping pace and genuine horror. I loved Jacob’s narration and the way it distanced us from Bella’s story enough to see the real horror of what was going on. His chapter titles were hilarious, too. More than any other character, it’s Jake that has moved me in these books, so it was great to be inside his head for a while. His description of Edward as “the burning man” was something that really stayed with me while I was reading this book. I loved that we got to see the wedding, and that Stephanie didn’t hold back on all the details that a girlie girl like me could want. I loved that Bella made sense as a vampire in a way she never had as a human. I loved the little literary hint that the big battle wasn’t really going to be one, by Alice using a page from the merchant of Venice, which gives the clue that the supposed fight to the death is going to be a battle of wit and words instead, as in that play. Most of all I loved Edward finally being able to hear the thoughts of the one person who was a mystery to him - that was a lovely moment that finished the sage perfectly for me.

Finally, I have to wonder whether Stepanie Meyer is a fan of Little Women - for me there was a definite nod to that book with Jacob imprinting on Renesmee and becoming part of Bella’s family. It was like Laurie being passed over by Jo only to marry Amy. On that subject, my heart skipped when Edward said to “My brother…my son” That was lovely.

It was the most dissatisfying of the books for me, but that was the same with Harry Potter too - I think it must be very hard to finish a series like this to everyone’s liking. I personally could have lived without Renesmee being quite so perfect, and without Charlie accepting things quite so easily, but I wouldn’t have wanted to miss seeing Bella finally get her man, and to not know Seth would have been a big loss indeed - I love that boy/wolf.

I've no time....off to work....but will be thinking about this at school and looking forward to reading & responder more fully later. Just one quick thing, Rain, you answered a question I had, or rather stated it so I saw it clearly. When Edward said "my son" I didn't get it, but son-in-law makes sense. :yes:

BD i so packed with plot & ideas & characters it was like the other 3 compressed.

I have to admit, I didn't really warm to Jacob at first. I like him and his support for Bella in New Moon but when he went all wolfie and was so surly I didn't like him much. I understood his anger & frustration though.

I was really pissed off at him at the wedding and when I came to the part of the book that was obviously narrated by him I though, oh phooney, I hope it isn't too long.

To my surprise and delight I loved it. He was funny and attractive and , ironically, so human. I was sorry when that part ended.

My favorite "scene" in Breaking Dawn was the description of all the wolves standing behind the Cullen & friends group as the Volturi approached. Hairraisingly awesome. :swoon:

I liked the revelation that they weren't actually werewolves but shapeshifters. It fits the tribal aspect so much better.

On the whole I did like Breaking Dawn, but I enjoyed it the least of the tetralogy (:smart::manic:). probably because it was all tied up in a nice neat bundle with pretty ribbon. I like my books to have a bit of a twist at the end (though I could do without a Harry Potter bloodbath).

One thing that did surprise me was the way Bella was changed. I'm sure everyone was expecting the whole neck-biting thing, but the way it was done really caught me off guard.

Jacob annoyed me as well, Jude. He was just so annoying. When he wasn't snoring on the sofa, that is :lol: I wanted to slap him at the wedding :crit:

I have to admit, I didn't really warm to Jacob at first. I like him and his support for Bella in New Moon but when he went all wolfie and was so surly I didn't like him much. I understood his anger & frustration though.

I was really pissed off at him at the wedding and when I came to the part of the book that was obviously narrated by him I though, oh phooney, I hope it isn't too long.

To my surprise and delight I loved it. He was funny and attractive and , ironically, so human. I was sorry when that part ended.

My favorite "scene" in Breaking Dawn was the description of all the wolves standing behind the Cullen & friends group as the Volturi approached. Hairraisingly awesome. :swoon:

I liked the revelation that they weren't actually werewolves but shapeshifters. It fits the tribal aspect so much better.

That was a wonderful moment :yes:

I was so mad at Jake at the wedding, too. But then when you read the part of the book that's narrated by him you understand his utter desperation to keep the girl he loves alive, and the way he acted makes more sense. I don't think Bella helped Jacob's character at all - she got so used to using him as a crutch when Edward left that she grew dependent on him, and kept him around even when it was hurting both him and Edward.

It's weird - although they were referred to as werewolves throughout the saga, I just always accepted that they were some sort of shamanic shape-shifters. Not sure why.

Jake is an annoying character at times, and I really disliked him when he first joined the pack, but for me he adds so much heart to the story.

• 2 weeks later...

:roflmao: I had not heard of them before....the Fug Girls. I kind of agree about not being bowled over by the movie Edward. In stills anyway, in the trailer where he is walking & talking it's better. And when it's the actor as himself it's Whoa Baby! :swoon:

I thought the movie Bella was actually better than my mental image....I, for some reason, kept picturing Ellen Page.

Don't like the looks of the movie Carlisle at all. Alice is quite like my mental pic but Rosalie is not .

I really can't see the actor who plays Jacob in the role. He is way too baby-faced to me.

:roflmao: I had not heard of them before....the Fug Girls. I kind of agree about not being bowled over by the movie Edward. In stills anyway, in the trailer where he is walking & talking it's better. And when it's the actor as himself it's Whoa Baby! :swoon:

I thought the movie Bella was actually better than my mental image....I, for some reason, kept picturing Ellen Page.

Don't like the looks of the movie Carlisle at all. Alice is quite like my mental pic but Rosalie is not .

I really can't see the actor who plays Jacob in the role. He is way too baby-faced to me.

I love Edward in the movie clips - he is incredibly close to the image I had in my head reading the book, but in the posters it doesn't look like Rob at all. The only criticism I have is that from the clips he lacks the old-fashioned quaility that Edward has, but that's because the script doesn't seem to be as gracefully written as the book.

I can see Ellen Page as Bella :yes: My mental picture of Bella reading the book was Alexis Bledel from Gimore Girls, but with brown eyes.

I think Carlise is a hottie in the movie but he's not the sort of hottie I pictured reading the books. He's interesting looking, and definitely gorgeous, but I thought of Carlise as more brazenly, obviously handsome, like Jason Lewis who played Smith in Sex and the City, only with the short hair he has in the current Aero chocolate ads here in the UK.

Rosalie I don't think is pretty enough. God, I hate saying that, because she is gorgeous, but she is not quite as delicately featured as I pictured Rosalie being.

Alice is spot on for me.

Taylor I think is perfect for the first book - he is supposed to look young in that. For the other books, when he gets his "growth spurt", I think they need to replace him with an older, taller actor. Steve Strait would be perfect.