The Hidden Fortress

language trouble

Mackie

honestly!!!

i have come across it before, of course, but just now i realised again that self-consciousness means two opposed things, according to my dictionary. :shock::wail: how can i use it when it says this and then the opposite???

:grumpy:

how do you use it??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm.

if i am feeling awkward and ill-at-ease in public (like if i have to perform at something i am uncomfortable with) i feel self-conscious......

however, my basic awareness of my self is self-consciousness... whatever way i feel emotionally.

i tend to the first version, mostly!!

:yes:

though the second use is not regular day-to-day usage, rather more specific/scientific....

if used in conversation it usually means embarrassment!

• 7 months later...

i have fond something else that is really weird. i was trying to find a word for the german verb "gönnen" - it means that i am pleased to see somebody else having something nice - the opposite of begrudge.

is there a word for that?

:huh2:

hmm. i guess we'd say 'i'm happy for you'...

can't think of a word at the moment. surely Shakespeare came up with one! vicarious enjoyment?

language is always intriguing! the way you can say something in one language and just can't in another always fascinates me!

German 'portmanteau' words have always amused... ninety letters long strapping half a dozen little words together to mean something like portable hairdryer........ :p