The Hidden Fortress

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gorgeous flowers, and LOVE the guardian!

• 3 weeks later...

It really, really is lovely :heart:  

Some plants I know, some I have never seen before :wow: 

A change of scene around every corner. The doggy visitor notices :photo: !

There is such a mixture of native plants, normal plants, and VERY rare plants, collected from all over the world.  Plus what happened with some non-native plants that ran wild in the Northwest during the dark years the place was left to its own devices.  It's unique.  One of the joys is that the do allow dogs to visit along with humans.  This particular one was VERY observant and was watching me before i ever aimed the camera  :oh: i didn't worry about invading its human's privacy, since it was such a long shot and the human was turned the other way.

And it's a gorgeous dog, too :oh: 

I love the small green persons on the waterlilies,too :frog: 

Such a beautiful place, Goli. I don't know what the croci-like flowers are called in English, they are Herbstzeitlosen (something like "autumnal timeless ones) in German, and they're so beautiful.

In these weeks, knowing that it's only a short time before all this green is gone, it's even more precious to enjoy a garden, isn't it.

Autumn crocus, here :yes:  also known as Colchicum species. Another common name is Naked Ladies :blush2: on account of their leaves showing up in spring, and the flowers in the autumn. So pretty, and yet deadly. I pulled out and burned a cluster that was getting invasive :snap: at the expense of a special rhododendron. Nothing has grown back in the soil where the bulbs were :shock:  

Fascinating, that big barb-leafed plant with red buds; and I went to find the :frog: :lol:

:oh: 

Every time i go, i try to count the :frog: but they are hard to spot, and tend to jump in the water - i did count up to 13 or 14.  The garden has acquired a river otter, which has been spotted at night by the security cameras, and which will eventually get the frogs.  i was told they are bullfrogs, and NOT native to the Northwest, so just nature balancing itself.

yes, it is, even though the frogs might now agree … :p 

I didn't know the Naked Ladies ( :lol: ) are poisonous! :shock: Good to know.

I found a weird plant growing in one corner of the fish market - it was jimson weed (datura). Also really poisonous. I wonder how it got there.

IMG_8126.jpeg

:wow: i have heard this name, but never seen the plant. it doesn't look 'nice' :duck: 

(later...) Also called Thorn-apple, in my plant book

Also used in some forms of witchcraft and magic :cauldron:

Definitely NOT nice.