The Hidden Fortress

about: photography

Mackie

i have been thinking aobut this for some time, and i would like to do it now. it is going to be a slow start since i do not have the kind of time to really invest a lot of energy into it right away, but if anyone has a question, feel free to pounce. :p

i am planning to write short posts about aspects of photography (like focus, exposure, how to get certain effects and so on), and post a few examples when i think it would help. i am not planning to make this overly technical, so i hope it can be fun.

if you have problems or questions, or if there is something you would like to do and don't know how to … this is the place to ask.

and i need a camera emoticon :lol:

Mackie,

I would really like this. I showed some of my photos to an art director who is making my new website. He told me that I really should learn to use my camera and learn some basics in photo shop because I have a good eye for composition, but technically my photos suck and its a shame because he said I have come really nice ones that could be very good ones if I just learn how to do it.

sweetp

well … i am not going to include photoshop, because i think it more important to know what you do before the picture is in the camera. photoshop is about editing, and not everybody has access to it, or inclination to use it. let's stick to what we all can do, okay?

(i am thinking of getting a Holga - that is as cheap as you can go - and it is certainly the direct opposite of a high-tech, touched up glossy pic. and still you can get amazing pictures using it … it all depends on the eye behind the camera.)

Oh this is a wonderful idea. I have lots to learn. I did manage to find the manual to my camera...and now I can find out what all the little buttons are for :jump:

Guest Sunflowerwoman
Mackie,

I would really like this. I showed some of my photos to an art director who is making my new website. He told me that I really should learn to use my camera and learn some basics in photo shop because I have a good eye for composition, but technically my photos suck and its a shame because he said I have come really nice ones that could be very good ones if I just learn how to do it.

sweetp

If you want to learn about Photo Shop, Lexi says that you should look at "50 Fast Digital Phot Techniques with Photoshop Elements". It covers the basics and has exercises you can do to learn how to use the software.

Well yes Mackie, I didn't mean to imply that you were going to teach us photoshop, but to say, that I should really learn to use my camera. I also got a camera that is an old one that uses film. It is not digital and doesn't use batteries and it makes square photos. I think I told you about that. And I am such a yutz when it comes to equipment.

sweetp

(i am thinking of getting a Holga - that is as cheap as you can go - and it is certainly the direct opposite of a high-tech, touched up glossy pic. and still you can get amazing pictures using it … it all depends on the eye behind the camera.)

I have a Holga. Its very, very :cool:

I'll dig out some piccies tonight and post them.

sweetp, you told me about the film one, and i remember the beautiful portrait of Craig you shot with it. i also remember you telling me you were a yutz with equipment, but since you manage to get wonderful results, the yutziness cannot be that bad. :p

Jude, a simple camera is okay. even disposables can be okay - you can do tossies with them! :lol: