The Hidden Fortress

Stop the Seal Hunt

Guest Girl from Mars

Guest Girl from Mars

I did not look at the video either, saw it last night on tv. But there is a petition you can sign.

Edited to add, the site I linked does not show you the pics unless you decide to watch the video. Please sign the petition, friends.

I will go sign later....at the end of my internet session in case it freezes me.

I heard a radio report on this hunt the other night and couldn't believe they were still doing this.

I had just read , in my Hungry Planet book about an Inuit family that still hunts seals for meat.

I really admire Bridget Bardot for once more protesting the hunt and lending her celebrity to the cause.

Thanks for the link Mars.

I heard a radio report on this hunt the other night and couldn't believe they were still doing this.

I had just read , in my Hungry Planet book about an Inuit family that still hunts seals for meat.

yes - that is what makes me angry when they call this slaughter "hunting". the Inuit are hunting. the others are just slaughtering. it is so frustrating that all the decades of protest haven't helped much. :s

I do support the rights of indigenous peoples to hunt and fish in their traditional areas, and that includes the treaty rights of the Makah to hunt a limited number of grey whales - very valuable lands were "traded" for those rights, and unless the U.S. and/or Canada are prepared to give back the land, the treaties should stand.

However, I do NOT support the Canadian seal hunt - instead of signing a petition, I have just sent a small online donation to IFAW.

I do support the rights of indigenous peoples to hunt and fish in their traditional areas, and that includes the treaty rights of the Makah to hunt a limited number of grey whales - very valuable lands were "traded" for those rights, and unless the U.S. and/or Canada are prepared to give back the land, the treaties should stand.

However, I do NOT support the Canadian seal hunt - instead of signing a petition, I have just sent a small online donation to IFAW.

I also support the rights of indigenous peoples to continue with their way of life - they have strong and long standing ties to the land and its bounty, and I think its important that these aren't lost.

But the Candadian seal hunt is something different. Moving away from the understandably emotive footage of mother seals watching their pups leak blood onto the ice (a vets study in 2001 found that 42% of the pups are skinned alive :what:), the simple fact is - the hunt makes no sense. While I will accept that harp seal numbers are high right now (though with 30,000 young seals per year never reaching maturity thanks to the cull, who knows how long that will last?), and that cod numbers are declining (the seals are blamed for this, but they eat less cod than the commercial fishers have caught, and more importantly, they also eat predators which feed on cod, like squid) the hunt is not only utterly cruel but not commercially viable. The argument being rallied now - that to ban the hunt would be robbing men of their livelihood - is laughable when you take into account that the cull takes place only in the break in the fishing season, with the sealers working the rest of the year working as commercial fishermen. And the seal hunt doesn't make money - the Canadian government has reportedly subsidised the seal hunt by $20million Canadian in the past 10 years.

goli - good for you for making a donation.

$20 million dollars! blimey. with one tenth of that (or even less), i could change the lives of about 100 children. their entire lives. not just a day or a month. but i could give them a new existence, new lives. i could almost wipe out the horrific present they live in.

i read in the site that mars posted that most of the seals are clubbed and then skinned alive. charming. just the kind of thing that can be dubbed "humane", of course. :mood:

as for indigenous rights to hunting for food are concerned, i think most indigenous peoples' traditional practices are very very conscious of maintaining a balance with the environment. after all, it isn't so much hunting for personal survival that has resulted in the extinction of certain species. it's commercial hunting and industrialisation. i don't know whether the old way of life can actually be followed in the current times. that doesn't mean that i think it can't. i mean i don't know whether it can. i certainly don't think a tribe's hunting rights legitimises industrialised hunting in any way.

i certainly don't think a tribe's hunting rights legitimises industrialised hunting in any way.

No, and I do not belief that the tribes should be denied those rights on those grounds. That was an argument that was made by those opposing the Makah whale hunting, that allowing the Makah to exercise their rights would be encouraging commercial whaling. I very nearly got into quite a fight on the Bainbridge ferry with a guy who claimed, among other things, to be speaking for "Makah elders". Fortunately, he walked away, his petition unsigned, BEFORE I could inform him that NO FRICKIN WHITE MAN WITH A EUROPEAN ACCENT speaks for the Makah, elders or not. Sigh. Not that I do, either. But I damned well support their treaty rights.

The thing that really pisses me off about the "depriving men of their livelihood" argument for the seal hunt (assuming that it WAS true), is the same thing that pisses me off about the same argument applied to logging old growth forests. Men can find other livelihoods a lot easier and a lot faster than the earth can replenish old growth forests or vanishing species.

I'm thinking that the best way to REALLY target the Canadian seal hunt would be some sort of tourist boycott of Canada. As much as I love Victoria, I would support that, too. Or, I wonder what would happen if we could boycott every movie filmed in Canada. I think they get a whole lot of revenue from the Hollywood types shooting in Vancouver, Toronto, and so on. It doesn't look like the Canadian government is going to be SHAMED out of subsidizing the hunt. :crit:

The thing that really pisses me off about the "depriving men of their livelihood" argument for the seal hunt (assuming that it WAS true), is the same thing that pisses me off about the same argument applied to logging old growth forests. Men can find other livelihoods a lot easier and a lot faster than the earth can replenish old growth forests or vanishing species.
also, with that kind of rationalising you cannot put an end to death penalty because it deprives the hangman of his job.