The Hidden Fortress

Arts & Crafts

yes, it's a tiny e - there just needed to be something small and black in that corner. :wink: 

Thank you :smooch: not so sure about the "very good" but I have learnt a lot in that course.

Ever since I found three of these yellow and white posters, I had in mind to make a collage with them; I am so happy it turned out right :manic: It's like my teacher says, "Always work with colors you like". She is so right. :yes: 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Mackie said:

This time I am really happy with it :manic: :joy: 

gelbYA_1565.jpg

And so you should be. HMoo ROCKS!!!!!

This may be moi favorite - but then moi is fickle and does tend to appreciate the latest the bestest.

This has been so much fun, from the observer/fan's point of view.

It's moi favorite, too :p 

I had put a lot of stuff on it (when not yet glued down) and took it off again. You can only guess how it will look when finished, because some papers are transparent when you glue them down, and others are as long as they are wet but then dry up to be opaque. Or like the ledger paper top left (the japanese writing) they stay semi transparent. At least this time I didn't have to add white layers :p 

:lol: work in progress. Started sewing last night and realised after an hour or so that I was pulling too tight, so I will have to cut it up again. :roll: Ah well, trial and error. It's how you learn, after all.

The book (hopefully) will have a coptic binding. It's for a 30 days challenge our teacher put together to help us stay inspired and stay working with everything we learned, and as I learned during the workshop, hopping in and making something you would not yourself come up with, is a lot of fun. 

Might end up being a 60 days challenge, I don't know - but then, nobody is forcing me, right? :wink: 

Until a very short time ago, artist books puzzled me a lot. Our teacher calls hers "collage journals", and for me a journal was about writing something, so I expected them to contain writing in some form. They don't, of course - it's collages from front to back :lol: and it took me a long time to get that. :roll: Old dogs and new tricks, I tell you ... :p 

So now I am making my third one (well, the first one is basically empty, need to go back to that one at one point) and it is a lot of fun. :book: :book:  :book: 

30 day challenge is a great way to  keep the creative momentum going, n'est pas? 

And, yes, "journals" are usually filled with writing - but what a neat trick to turn it around to mean filled with OTHER forms of self expression.

I had to re-start the flipping binding twice and only got it right on the third attempt :lol: Not quite done yet, but almost.

... and done! :sweat: There was some cursing involved. :p :angelmoo:

But in spite of all the wrong starts and re-starts, I really loved making this. It probably won't be the last one - I already had an idea for one for my sister's b-day :manic: :book: coptic3_1625.thumb.jpg.ef7d969f690be9ec4d41ceb3bdcae3fb.jpgcoptic2_1627.thumb.jpg.24864e3d5d00cb1e271539f505a0b365.jpgcoptic1_1628.thumb.jpg.b4ab9ea71948c0b295aa0fce8cfe19eb.jpg

Making the cover, I realized how close this kind of collage is to patchwork :oh: I really loved making it, using all the different shades of yellow and ochre and the different print.

ma’am, apart from the brilliant collage work, you have excelled at the binding :shock: :wow:

I think the book must be a lovely thing to hold, then open. Each turn of page is art in itself, tactile, visual.  :omm:  Hyperbole intended 
It will be fun to make one for your sister! :gift2:  :manic:

2 hours ago, bess said:

It will be fun to make one for your sister! :gift2:  :manic:

Certainly fun for US :jump2: :jump2:

And definitely fun for you sister to hold, and open, and turn the pages.