The Hidden Fortress

Punctuation Playground !?,.:;{}[]()"'etc.

I thought it might be fun to have a place to play with punctuation. (Good grief, I'm turning into a big geek!)

What would it be like without the little cuties?

I would have to put the actual word into the sentence comma like that comma and it would take a lot more time comma for one thing period It is really hard to not just use the symbol comma don't you think comma instead of these bleeping words period parentheses or possibly a question mark goes there comma Iapostrophem not sure parentheses

I have to go now and feed Murphy comma whoapoatrophes right here with me comma his lunch period Iapostrophell see you later comma with any luck comma and with the promise to not do this anymore exclaimation point

Since'rel'y You'res: Jud!e!'

without any punctuation it would feel like tillys writing wouldnt it there's a girl who i think imagines the commas and the full stops ha i say full stops and not period when i say period i just think very lets just say gory things

:p

Yes, I have that mental image in my head too with he word "period".

My family is more bemused that scared. I suppose it seems tame compared to my previous obsessions: various actors, Vampire fiction, making home made ice cream without sugar ( the horror!) and the whole increasingly tinier needlepoint phase.

Can someone explain when a person would use a semi-colon instead of a colon?

Also I'm wondering when a hyphen ( or 2) is/are preferred over parentheses.

As in "A hefalump (no, really) is sitting in my garden." or " A hefalump - no, really- is sitting in my garden."

Guest Girl from Mars

I am guilty of the - yes indeed - hyphen thing too. I don't even know why I do it, it just seems to structure better than the parentheses. :huh:

As for commas, I don't know where to put them, in German as well as English, I am horribly clueless when it comes to commas.

Can someone explain when a person would use a semi-colon instead of a colon?

*puts on professorial glasses* :p

the comma, semi-colon, colon and the full stop are all pauses of different lengths. their purpose is to break up a sentence, often into fragments.

the comma is the smallest pause, for a small fragment of thought. when you use the comma, you need to place it at the beginning of the fragment and at the end, unless it's finishing off the sentence (in which case there's a full stop).

example: she looked up at the sky, with it's piglet-shaped clouds, and prayed for rain.

she rode off into the sunset, imagining crumpets for tea tomorrow evening.

the semi-colon is a longer pause. it's actually a device that links two different thoughts that are still somewhat connected into one sentence.

example: the chocolate sat in front of me; i wondered if someone would notice if i nibbled on it.

instead of 'and', which would connect the two sentences, we use a semi-colon.

it's also used when there's already some punctuation being used within a sentence.

example: she's travelling to Warsaw, Poland; Hamburg, Germany; Reykjavik, Iceland; and Goregaon West, Mumbai, India.

the colon is a longer pause AND it informs/ clarifies/ proves the statement before it. it doesn't connect two phrases together, the way the semi-colon does.

example: it was suddenly absolutely clear: boo had been snarling because we hadn't played robbie williams for her till now.

Also I'm wondering when a hyphen ( or 2) is/are preferred over parentheses.

As in "A hefalump (no, really) is sitting in my garden." or " A hefalump - no, really- is sitting in my garden."

aha! what you mean is the dash and not the hyphen. :p the hyphen is the little dash that links together two words, eg. chocolate-crusted. the dash is longer and performs pretty much the same function as the parentheses. when you have a separate idea within a sentence, you can put it in brackets or put a long dash on either side. which is why, you can put a punctuation mark at the end of the fragment within parentheses or the dashes.

example: a hefalump - no, really! - is sitting in my garden.

and yes, the lecture is over. :p

I'm SO glad you did that Jana - I was trying to work out how to explain it!

I tend to think of commas, semi-colons and colons in terms of different lengths of musical notes - or rests, rather. I think whether to dash or to parenth is personal preference!!

i think the importance of punctuation came with the rise of performance of written texts. that's how i figured it out for myself. :lol: it's basically how long a pause you give - minimal in case of the comma and maximum in case of the full stop, with the semi-colon and colon coming in between. interestingly, the colon and semi-colon were both 'created' by italians. :p