The Hidden Fortress

Bits and Pieces from the Kaleidoscope

Goli

I thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about specific pics in our gallery, and why we particularly like them. Along with a copy of the pic, since we are getting so creative here, it's hard to keep up with ourselves :oh:

3ng.jpg

What I just love about this pic is the contrast of the textures and the shading. The grey is so hard, and the shape of the flower is so sharp, and yet the colors of the flowers are so delicate that it looks like it was painted by a water color artist.

It feels like I could literally reach into the pic and lift the flower out. Or pick it up by its edge, which is also so defined, and pull it apart.

IMG_2062.jpg

And this one - this image is so linear that there is almost no sense of depth to it, which is way cool, at least to me. It's changed what looks like a city scape into plane geometry. The triagles, the way that they oppose each other, the way that there are a couple of triangles in so much shadow that you have to look twice to see them - the fact that the streaking image is actually a very, very elongated triagle - these are what make something that seems simple and straightforward at first glance more complex the next time you look at it.

bnblur.jpg

This one is so fascinating because it is very much a moving image. Not only that, but it is moving in a number of directions. So many of the blurred type of pics seem to move from side to side, like an image going across a movie screen, but this one also moves from bottom to top in a way that you don't see very often. I like, too, that the blurred faces are still somehow the focus of the pic despite the fact that they are really the smallest of the images. And the very dynamic green diagonals. And the juxtaposition of the green with the red. Also the triangles of shadow in the bottom portion of the pic - the shadows anchor the image enough so that we can look at it without getting lost in the motion of the top part of the pic. I think a lot of people might have chosen to crop the image WITHOUT that bottom portion - to make the pic a square. And that would have made the pic still interesting, and okay, but nowhere near as arresting as it is this way.

yes, the fact that there are different directions to the movement is fascinating. i also love the light - it has something of movie lighting to it –and the dramatic folds of fabric in the foreground.

rags.jpg

This one is, well, a little creepy. It looks so clearly like there is a person here. With a face highlighted - the eyes and the nose so clear, and grasping fingers on the left. And an arm clutching the face - but with the angle, the shoulder would be very, very dislocated . There are feet wrapped up in who knows what? Are the toes still there? Or frostbitten nubs?

Knowing that it is a pile of something discarded. Brrrrrh. Quite the comment on urban life in what passes for civilized society.

Then, there are bars of light. What's left is a shell, is it, free from whatever was imprisoning it?