The Hidden Fortress

songs from hell

Mackie

since we started talking about "All by myself", and nobody seemed to like that particular song - do you have most hated songs? the kind that assaults you before you can switch off the radio, and then continues to stick to the inside of your ears for the rest of the day?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head. :bb:

:shock: I lurve that song. Actually, I like pretty much anything by Burt Bacharach.

i just call to say i love you :bb: (the last three notes in particular) :huh:

:yes: That cha cha cha at the end :nosee::bb: Its such a shame that that's the song everyone seems to know Stevie for. He's so much more than that. Once of my favourite artists :yes:

Boo's hates:

Imagine by John Lennon :bb::bb:

Let me entertain you by Robbie William. No fricking thanks :db:

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Pure shite :yes:

Betty, when they play Raindrops, you can cover my ears & I'll cover yours during Imagine...which I love. :lol:

Aha, thought of one! Crimson & Clover...I used to think it was by the Bee Gees, but who is it really?

And Judy in Disguise With Glasses! Hmph! I took that one very personally.

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head. :bb:

:shock: I lurve that song. Actually, I like pretty much anything by Burt Bacharach.

i just call to say i love you :bb: (the last three notes in particular) :huh:

:yes: That cha cha cha at the end :nosee::bb: Its such a shame that that's the song everyone seems to know Stevie for. He's so much more than that. Once of my favourite artists :yes:

Boo's hates:

Imagine by John Lennon :bb::bb:

Let me entertain you by Robbie William. No fricking thanks :db:

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Pure shite :yes:

This is going to divide people like the Barfbag or Dreamboat conversation, isn't it?

I quite like Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head. And I would count Imagine as one of the most important - and beautiful - songs ever written. Stairway to Heaven starts of rather twee, but when the tempo picks up it's rocking.

The others I heartily agree with - the final "oooof my heeeeart" on I Just Called.. is so strangled that it's painful to listen to. And I don't really rate anything Robbie has done since Take That .

My personal list -

Whitney Houston's version of I Will Always Love you is a travesty. Actually, any vocal acrobatics turn me off in a song - you know the female performances that feel the need to have more notes than were originally written? These "diva's" (and boy, do I hate when they are called that!) think that singing scales is a substitute for phrasing and tone. I also dislike really obvious key-changes in the last chorus. Just plain wrong.

On a similar theme, I despise The Greatest Love of All - a celebration of self-obsession, ritually slaughtered by the above singer and more talent show contestants than you can shake a shitty stick at.

Elton John's Candle in the Wind Redux for Princess Diana's funeral also makes me heave. I don't know what is more wrong - that a song dedicated to Marilyn is now associated with a self-pitying, media-manipulating coat-hanger, or that a songwriting team as wonderful as John and Taupin couldn't come up with something new for someone Elton was reputedly so very fond of. Crass.

Aha, thought of one! Crimson & Clover...I used to think it was by the Bee Gees, but who is it really?

Tommy James and the Shondells.

I'm not fond of a lot of twee sixties music - mainly the stuff that came out of the UK. I'd take The Byrds over The Beatles any day of the week.

Judith, I think Crimson & Clover was done by Tommy James & The Shondells

This is going to divide people like the Barfbag or Dreamboat conversation, isn't it?

:yes::jump2::joy:

Whitney Houston's version of I Will Always Love you is a travesty. Actually, any vocal acrobatics turn me off in a song - you know the female performances that feel the need to have more notes than were originally written? These "diva's" (and boy, do I hate when they are called that!) think that singing scales is a substitute for phrasing and tone. I also dislike really obvious key-changes in the last chorus. Just plain wrong.

Mariah Scarey is another one who insists on practising her scales in the middle of a song :db: Either sing properly or shut the hell up :db:

Elton John's Candle in the Wind Redux for Princess Diana's funeral also makes me heave. I don't know what is more wrong - that a song dedicated to Marilyn is now associated with a self-pitying, media-manipulating coat-hanger, or that a songwriting team as wonderful as John and Taupin couldn't come up with something new for someone Elton was reputedly so very fond of. Crass.

i always liked the Marilyn version, but since the Diana fiasco, its definitely lost its appeal for me. I will listen to the proper version, but as soon as I realise its the Diana one, off goes the radio.

And All saints need to be lined up against a wall for their version of Under the Bridge (which I don't actually like, but that's not the point.)

Judith, I think Crimson & Clover was done by Tommy James & The Shondells

:yes::jump2::joy:

:yes::oh::manic::chacha:

Maria Scary is precisely that. and yes, the vocal artistries. :bb:

(i typoed "arstistries". :p )

"...the female of the species is more deadlier than the male..." I cannot bear to listen to a song with such dreadful grammar!!!

which song is that? :lol: (no, i never get the lyrics, but that one makes me almoat glad i don't :p )

Female of the Species by Space, a band from Liverpool that had a couple of hits in the 90's. I worked for the company that distributed their CD's. Although I'm not a big fan of the song, the grammar didn't bother me, as it was clearly deliberate - the song is a spoof lounge record by a bunch of lads who look like they'd more likely be out nicking hubcaps, so it's kind of funny when this Liverpudlian lad is doing his best Frank Sinatra and then comes out with that gaffe and breaks the spell. A lot of their songs were quite humourous, but this one was their biggest hit.