The Hidden Fortress

Oscar's here....

jana

i'm putting this here because it's very likely that we may not agree on a) nominations and b) winners. especially since some people seem to have a think for pumped up blond actors and what not, so who can tell which way minds will swivel... :angel:

the oscar nominations are out. it's an image heavy page so it may take some time to load. i'm going to look for a text only version that i can cut and paste here.

let the squabbling begin. :wink:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more the merrier. :yes:

so here are the text versions of the nominations (complete with my quick comments :angel: )

1. Best Picture:

"Babel,"

"The Departed,"

"Letters From Iwo Jima," (who'd have thunk it from the same man who made 'django'??? :shock: )

"Little Miss Sunshine,"

"The Queen." (i wonder whether elizabeth II gets invites too... :neutral: )

2. Best Actor:

Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond";

Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson";

Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; (YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!)

Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; (should we really encourage this kind of spelling? :crit::p )

Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland." (what's the bet this one will win?)

3. Best Actress: (three out of five nominations go to the brits. is it time for an l.a. tea party? :p i'd say the race is really between cruz and mirren. )

Penelope Cruz, "Volver";

Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal";

Helen Mirren, "The Queen";

Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada";

Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

4. Supporting Actor:

Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; (LOVED him. :yes: )

Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children";

Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; (will someone please give him a role where he is a free man? PLEASE.)

Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls";

Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed." (he was excellent in this one.)

5. Supporting Actress:

Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; (excellent but somewhat overshadowed, i think, by her colleague lower down.)

Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal";

Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; (YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! she was so CUTE!)

Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls";

Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel." (this woman is blonde and in her thirties. unfreakin'believable. the best of the lot, i think.)

6. Directing:

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; (if he gets it, i will be very upset)

Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; (if he doesn't get it, he will be very upset)

Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima";

Stephen Frears, "The Queen";

Paul Greengrass, "United 93." (is america really ready to vote for a movie on 9/11? i don't think so.)

7. Foreign Language Film:

"After the Wedding," Denmark;

"Days of Glory (Indigenes)," Algeria;

"The Lives of Others," Germany;

"Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico;

"Water," Canada. (indian story, indian cast; canadian film. it's a global village and you gotta love it. :yes: )

8. Adapted Screenplay:

"Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; (NOOOOOOOOOO!!! yuck. blech. ew.)

"Children of Men";

"The Departed"; (really not so great. i'd like to see this script without the awesome acting. many, many holes.)

"Little Children";

"Notes on a Scandal."

9. Original Screenplay:

"Babel"; (nice.)

"Letters From Iwo Jima";

"Little Miss Sunshine"; (YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY)

"Pan's Labyrinth";

"The Queen."

there's more... but now i need dinner. :roll::lol:

"Letters From Iwo Jima," (who'd have thunk it from the same man who made 'django'??? :shock: )

he didn't :lol: he made several westerns, but none of the Django series.

:joy:

i know something in movies Jana doesn't!! i am wholly delighted. :lol:

(all the time being well aware that a/ she probably hates westerns anyway, and b/ that it only shows my age that i do know :p )

I've only seen 1 of the nominated movies, the danish one After the wedding. It's good. Really good acting. One of the main characters is swedish so we get to play this year too, a bit anyway.

Right, I saw Volver too. Liked that as well.

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; (if he gets it, i will be very upset)

why? was it bad?

Whoo Hoo! Little Niss Sunshine!!

I haven't seen the others and only want to see The Queen out of them. I love Helen Mirren.

Other than that I guess I'll make inappropriate and sarcastic comments with Mackie. :roflmao:

no, "babel" wasn't bad but it wasn't BRILLIANT either. and the flaws, for me, were directorial. like wasting gael garcia bernal, for instance, and not completing his story. the strength of the movie is its script which is amazingly well-structured.

er, mackie, i was actually referring to clint acting in django. i had no idea he'd directed any western. :roll: which goes to show how much i know about him. :lol:

the reason i found rinko kikuchi of babel outstanding is that she played a deaf-mute 16 year old flawlessly. not easy at any age. certainly not when you're only about 15 years older in real life.

er, mackie, i was actually referring to clint acting in django. i had no idea he'd directed any western. :roll: which goes to show how much i know about him. :lol:

er, ducky, i was referring to Clint never having been anywhere near a Django, in what capacity ever :lol:

:teaser:

he only directed a western later in life, "Unforgiven", 1992, thoroughly dismantling all the old Western Hero clichés.

er, ducky, i was referring to Clint never having been anywhere near a Django, in what capacity ever :lol:

:teaser:

:yes: Mackie is right. Django was Franco Nero. The films share a lot of influences with Sergio Leone's Dollars series though, which Clint did appear in.

he only directed a western later in life, "Unforgiven", 1992, thoroughly dismantling all the old Western Hero clichés.

Great film.

I love Clint as a director, and Letters from Iowa Jima is the one movie from this list I am desperate to see. I would have thought it was a strong contender runner for the picture race, if what I've read in the press here has anything to go - there has been a lot of positive buzz around both Letters and its companion piece Flags of our Fathers. I was actually expecting Flags to take the big nonimations, rather than the Japanese language movie - nice surprise. I would have been glad to see either one of them there, though - he's just a great director. Clint is hardly a stranger to the Oscars, of course - Mystic River had a handful of nominations, and Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby got him statues.

Mystic River had a fistful of nominations....

had to do that. Fistful(l) of Dollars. get it? :silly2:

:smart: i think CE did direct a few other westerns, the outlaw josey wales for one, (which had a sad ending :sad:

i am intrigued that Letters got the nod over Flags, but maybe the studio didn't push the Flags movie.

it's all rigged :neutral:

:p

Mystic River had a fistful of nominations....

had to do that. Fistful(l) of Dollars. get it? :silly2:

:lol: indeed i do :p
:smart: i think CE did direct a few other westerns, the outlaw josey wales for one, (which had a sad ending :sad:
right!!

it's all rigged :neutral:

:p

orph course it is :p