The Hidden Fortress

Tour de France

we were quite puzzled in London to see that the Tour de France is started off there (actually, we thought it was something like a PR thing before the tour's start on the continent).

i must say that after more of a year of headlines in German newspapers about massive doping i am amazed that the flipping thing is starting at all. there has been revelation after revelation, and it looks like there is no athlete among them who is not using illegal substances on a regular basis, and that everybody knew. so why aren't they wearing the pharma industry logos? it would make more sense (not that the sponsor logos they are wearing make much sense, but anyway ...)

i find it profoundly baffling that anyone would want to see this now. this sport clearly has reached the edge and has fallen over it, too, only it seems it takes them some time to notice.

:nuts:

I caught a bit of a radio report on this the other day. The usual stuff about Lance Armstrong's legacy and then some numbers on how many people watch it on tv.

It started at about 500,000 the year Lance won the first time, then gradually climbed to over 2,500,000 in his last year.

It fell to about 1,500,000 the next year and 1,000,000 the next, but to try to put a positive spin on it the spokesperson for the Tour was saying, "It is still up from the 500,000. Completely glossing over the really dramatic drop.

Of course that is only the U.S. numbers. From what you say Mackie, it sounds like it isn't just us though.

Of course that is only the U.S. numbers. From what you say Mackie, it sounds like it isn't just us though.

no, definitely not just you. the whole drug thing and the way the german teams (but others, too) were lying until they were proven wrong, and then kept lying in other areas until proven wrong there, only to still keep lying ... it is amazing anyone at all is still watching.

I'm not watching.

Of course, I never did watch.

And, yes, they might just as well call it the Tour de Pharm, have them all wear drug company logos and be done with it.