The Hidden Fortress

how much nudity can children take?

Mackie

there is a german childrens book author / illustrator who just (sensationally) landed a deal with a US publisher, Rotraut Susanne Berner. only it seems the deal is going sour ... because they expect her to change one of the pics in the book the deal is for. it is this pic:

illustration1.jpg

(this is about the size the pic is in print)

the details they found potentially offensive are this nude painting

illustration2.jpg

and the huge penis on this statuette:

illustration3.jpg

:neutral:

(note: there were no plans to give free magnifying lenses with the books.)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I for one feel robbed of my innocence now :neutral:

It's quite sad, isn't it, to think children need protecting from something so inoffensive? I suppose the publisher would also prefer Michelangelo's David in boxer shorts :roll:

Well, I never thought I'd see the say. Naked men at the Fort! Am shocked and outraged.

Though I really should see the pic, I guess. Just to see how shocked and outraged I should be :neutral:

It's about as graphic as a jelly baby, I would say.

That is such a sweet and witty illustration. I love the blushes on the little girl and the older man to the left. And the look on the woman's face on the far right. :roflmao: Just so cute and innocent really. What a shame about the book deal. Surely there will be some smart and sensible publisher to step in.

Good for her for not altering her work too.

The picture with the story about "Prince, Planet Earth" that symbol, The artist Formerly Known as Prince, is so lovely. I really like the colors and it looks like it's textile maybe.

:roll: that's just ridiculous. blame the "swedish sin" but i never did understand what is so offensive about nudity. i mean yes, in some situations obviously, but like those? think it's more harmful to teach kids that their bodies are unnatural and shameful.

Unfortunately, there are still alot of people that are very uncomfortable discussing sexual matters. If their kids see a book like this they will ask questions that , horror of horrors, the parents must address.

Remember that ludicrous incident of the Florida production of the Vagina Monolouges that got held up because some woman objected to the name. She said she didn't want to have to answer her neice's questions about the word.

I suppose it's hard to escape how you are raised. I was lucky to have a mom who exposed me to all aspects of life at appropriate ages & answered questions.

She hadn't been raised that way but she evolved. :roflmao:

Kate has friends who have come to me because their own Moms got all dismissive if they asked about certain sexual or body issue things. They just plain felt they COULDN"T ask their Moms. And that was only a few years ago.

It was a little uncomfortable but so rewarding when they realized that what they were feeling was "normal". I guess most teens feel like freaks at times because it's all new territory, isn't it.

My main, if long winded point being, there is still a deep & wide streak of prudishness in many partrs of the U.S. The publisher is probably afraid of being picketed.

I hope that none of you will be scarred by that image. Oooh, perhaps we need an arbiter to save us from these horrors? :roll:

Don't tell the authorities, but I quite like it :yes:

Yes, Moo, it's very rude :neutral: